Wednesday, October 29, 2014

...but, "The Ponderosa," didn't have a chopper.













  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't like change.  I am very comfortable with the routines I have developed over the years and am prone to bouts of anxiety when these routines are altered. One of my boyfriend and I's favorite routines is our nightly mandatory two episodes of TV's beloved, "Dallas."  I am not talking about that new impostor of a series they refer to as, "Dallas."  I am referring to the bourbon and branch swilling, maniacal smiling, J.R. in all his glory, "Dallas."  You know, the good ol' days at the Southfork ranch.  Yes, every night my boyfriend and I return to Southfork and the 1980s. 
   Now, like most things in pop culture, "Dallas," is not immune to becoming a tad outdated.  We are talking phones with cords on them, not a computer to be found in the Ewing Oil building, and secretaries with shoulder padded silhouettes that resemble some of the NFL's most impressive linebackers.  Did I mention the hairstyles yet?  Well, I won't because that is a post all on it's own, and consider that a promise from me.  I can see it now, "The Ladies of Dallas."  Oh yeah, this is going to happen.
   As dated and cheesy as, "Dallas," can be we love it, and I really can't explain why.  Whether it is because this show time warps us back to the glorious 80s, or allows us to indulge in soap opera schmaltz without hitting the bottom of the broadcasting barrel we look forward to every evening starting out with a bang to the tune of...da da DAH da da dada da DAH. da da da dada DAH!
   However, I am now sad to report that A. and I have finish watching every season of this treasure of a program.  Over a two year span we watched all fourteen seasons and three made for TV movies. Who says we don't know how to party?!  After the last episode we looked at each other with a kind of horror, like what now?  Do we now have to talk to each other in the evenings?  What is there even to talk about if we are not discussing J.R.'s latest scheme?  How can one live without, "Dallas?!"
   I will state there is life after, "Dallas."  A. and I are currently in search of our next nightly program.  I am open to suggestions if anyone would like to comment.  After eight years of dating we are in desperate need of new conversation material, so any recommendations would be welcome.  I will mention we tried to start the series, "Bonanza," but it's just not the same ranch!  "The Pondersosa," just doesn't have enough greed, hairspray, or J.R. to cut it.
-r.



Shirt:  kensie
Jeans:  Silver Jeans
Slippers:  purchased at Target
Purse:  FOSSIL  http://www.fossil.com/

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, my husband and I always get addicted to old tv shows like this! We haven't watched Dallas, but we got really into wings a couple of years ago-there are tons of episodes on netflix. I've loved old tv shows since I was a kid-so good!
    I love LOVE the embroidery on your top! It pairs so well with your funky jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Yes, there is just something so comforting about all the old shows. Not to be too clique but, "They just don't make 'em like that anymore!" :)

      Delete