Sunday, July 1, 2018

A Little Bit Country











   I’ve never thought of myself as a, “country girl.”  I guess this may be a tad odd since I live in the Midwest…in a house...in the actual country…with like two barns...and a silo around it…and I love to wear western clothing.  Dammit though! I still stand by the idea that I’m not the, “country type."  Okay, so apparently I uttered the atrocity, “y’all,” the other day during conversation.  Despite what others claim, I’m still not sold on the concept that this actually happened…and so what if I immensely enjoy listening to John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot tunes.  This means nothing!
   However, my argument felt a little weak the other day when I wore this particular outfit and my boyfriend’s first response was, “You look like you’re on the cast of Hee Haw!”  I ask you, is it possible to be horrified and thrilled at the same time?  I believe it is and that’s exactly how I felt then, and when I snagged this hat at Savers not so long ago. 
   I mean please, it's pink, it’s straw, and it’s hillbilly as hell and God help me, I love it.  I wish I could find more occasions to wear such a piece.  I suppose living where I do I have a number of opportunities that others in much more metropolitan areas do not.  Finally, a perk to living in darn near the middle of couture nowhere!  Realistically, I can wear this baby just about anywhere and not have to explain myself.  The sarcastic inquiry, “Are you going to a rodeo?” is a totally legitimate question.  Even better, being that it’s summer, I have plenty of appropriate events to choose from in order to wear this baby as much as possible.  Tractor pull here I come!...no seriously, I've been to a few of these and have really enjoyed them.  The boot watching alone is fantastic!
   Not that I need an excuse to wear this hat, because let’s face it, as soon as I set eyes on this grotesquely alluring representation of kitschy folk I knew it was coming home with me…and was going to be worn in both barns…the silo…the rodeo…the tractor pull…and most likely a McDonald's or two.
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment