Saturday, July 21, 2018

"Good Morning, Vietnam!"













   To begin I want to clarify, in no way am I trying to make light of the Vietnam War.  I know…I know…this is a very odd statement to make at the start of a “fashion blog,” post.  However, I’m kind of a paranoid freak and would hate to offend anyone who may have experienced the atrocities of that war…as if those honorable individuals would ever be reading this blog!  However, despite my reserves on bringing up such an unfortunate event in history, I can’t help but think of actor Robin Williams screaming the legendary line, "Good Morning, Vietnam!" each time I look at the above images.  The style just seems to fit.
   Here again, I’m confronted with the fact that I'm definitely a theme dresser.  It’s like I pick a certain piece out of my closet and construct an entire new identity.  Honestly, I like to think I have a flair for it.  At the same time, there can be drawbacks to dressing this way.  I can’t tell you how many times I get asked about my, “costumes.”  This is something that can really start to irritate a person…especially someone who is fast approaching forty and feels a titch too old to be marching around in, “dress up clothes."  The problem is I don’t know how to combat the classic, “costume question.”  While I’m wearing my actual clothes each time this statement is uttered, I can’t help but admit I’m not an actual activist hippie whose protesting on the front lines.  I’m also not a WASPy socialite donning her nautical gear in order to attend a yacht party.  Sigh...most unfortunately, I’m not a bohemian cowgirl who goes wherever her horse takes her…because that would just be really cool.
   In the end, I have to admit that I’m just me…works the same schedule everyday…quietly reads her novels on lunch breaks…watches Netflix at home a lot, and constantly drinks decaf vanilla lattes.  Perhaps this rather, "normal," existence is the reason I feel compelled to dress like someone different every day.  Of course, the alternative is simply I’m just a weirdo who loves quirky clothes and has a knack for matching them together.  In any case, if you need a stylist for a costume party, I’m your gal.
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment