Sunday, October 1, 2017

The Closet That Carrie Built












   It is not at all unique for a woman in her thirties to state that she, "loves the show, “Sex and the City.”  What I do believe to be notable is the fact that so many women today are still saying this about a program that stopped producing new episodes in 2004.  Basically, Carrie and the gang are old news so what keeps them so relevant today?
   Recently, I was struck by this question when a pretty little twenty-something remarked that, “Your dress is SO Carrie Bradshaw!”  My first reaction was absolute delight.  I adore when people label me a, “Carrie.”  Who doesn’t want to be compared to the leading fashionista of the early 2000’s.  Admittedly, this comparison was no surprise to me considering when I saw the dress in question I too immediately thought, “that is SO Carrie Bradshaw!”  After some serious consideration of this compliment…(me enjoying my inner permagrin) I began to marvel at the idea that this individual and I had the exact same response towards a piece of clothing.  “Wow!” I thought, “Sex and the City," really had some influence!”
   Admittedly, this is a fairly ridiculous topic for a blog post.  Not only has this subject been approached by many a more talented writer than I, but it’s pretty flaky in content as well.  I’m almost embarrassed to admit how fond of this show I actually am.  I fear it immediately categorizes me as just another shallow dimwit trying to sadly appear, “fabulous.”  Uh, by the way…is that fabulous thing working?
   I guess the whole reason I felt compelled to muse about my admitted addiction to this show revolves around the t-shirt I’m wearing in the above pictures.  After the second, “Sex and the City,” movie was released I was obsessed with finding this shirt.  I think it’s relevant to mention that my friends and I were so excited to see this film we rented a movie theater room in the commons area of someone’s apartment building and had our own private showing of it.  Admittedly, it was a pretty poor picture.  However, there were some redeeming qualities.  I’ve mentioned before I adore the scene where Carrie goes shoe shopping at an outdoor market in Abu Dhabi…yes, I really wrote that…yes, that really happens in the movie…yes, I really love that scene, despite how ridiculous it is.   During that particular moment of the movie Carrie is wearing what I believe to be her finest outfit ever.  This is a heavy statement for me to make considering I worship her wardrobe throughout the entire series.  However, there was just something that really spoke to me about this particular ensemble.  That evening, as soon as our, “Sex and the City,” screening party was over I was a woman on a mission.  I glanced around at all my friends wondering which one of us would be able to first locate the, in my mind, obviously coveted Dior t-shirt.  Immediately, I felt competitive.  “That shirt is mine!”  I thought.
   Apparently, not everyone at the party felt the same.  Upon arriving to my next social function about a week later I expected all of us to be wearing the same cheap eBay knockoff I was able to hastily locate.  However, no one else did!  Furthermore, none of my friends seemed to notice I had on the exact…okay, the ghetto version…of Carrie’s t-shirt.  “What the heck?!” I wondered thinking I had missed something everyone else knew.  
   Obviously the above pictures are proof that several years later I am still wearing my, “Carrie shirt.”  Whenever I want to feel, “fabulous,” I put that thing on and strut around like I got the world by the ass.  To this day, no one has ever mentioned it is the same shirt as the one in the movie.  I now think it might be due to how poor that film actually was.  Perhaps people believe an acknowledgement of this would be an insult to me. 
   Lastly, I’m forced to wonder if I’m the only individual to memorize the clothing presented on this show.  Could it be that other women were not watching, “Sex in the City,” in order to admire the costumes?  Wait…was there actual plots to these episodes?  Uh…huh…I better go watch them again.  I’ll get back to everyone on that.
-r.

3 comments:

  1. You might be ridiculous, but you are definitely fabulous. It is ok to be both. :) Great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete