Sunday, October 15, 2017

Among My People













   I feel compelled to mention that I’ve reached that awkward point in the season where my pictures don’t make a lot of sense.  For example, if I was to wear this outfit today I would've frozen my buns off.  This being stated I have a fairly large backstock of images and I didn’t have the heart to skip over these particular ones.  Basically, it’s either I post pictures of me, “showing skin,” awhile longer or I start posting every day in order to catch up with the changing seasons.  Let’s face it, even I don’t want to be constantly confronted with glamour shots of myself.
   I want to state that there are multiple reasons I was so pleased with this ensemble.  The first being the skirt I’m wearing was a thrift store find that even I can’t believe.  Admittedly, I consider myself highly skilled at thrifting.  Keeping that in mind I came across this beauty on a quick trip through Savers one afternoon.  That day the line for the dressing room was ridiculous and I was lacking in patience.  I reasoned it was worth risking $6.00 on an item that may not fit correctly in order to get to the coffee shop faster.  I left the store completely accepting the fact that this piece may be a disaster…in stripes, which as any fashion conscious individual knows can be a woman’s worst nightmare.  One can image my delight when I finally got home and tried it on.  It fit like a glove!  I really couldn’t believe how good it turned out.  At that moment I took time to praise the thrifting gods that have been so good to me over the years.   
   About a week later I decided to wear my new found treasure out on the town.  I had heard rumblings about a charity garage sale being held by some local hipsters.  I reasoned, what better way was there to create good thrifting karma than to wear my last best find?  I put on the outfit featured above and headed out to the sale…because why not dress up to go look through a bunch of crap piled on top of dirty folding tables?  As soon as I arrived I was pleased with my choice of outfit.  Standing there, I was suddenly confronted with a bunch of fairly intimidating ladies who all looked extremely trendy with their dark rimmed glasses, tattoos, and bright red lipstick.  You know, the kind of women I always want to be friends with but am scared to approach.  I walked up to the first tables and instantly one of them latched on to me stating she knew exactly what I was looking for.  She steered me to THE GREATEST vintage dress and told me I simply had to buy it.  I’m pleased to report I left that sale with a pile of adorable vintage finds.  I’m even happier to state the ladies who sold these items to me were extremely nice.  They actually said to me that they saw me walking down the road towards them and instantly thought, “Oh, she’s one of us.”  I was thrilled.  “Maybe I’m not as vanilla as I feared,” I thought.
   Later that afternoon I was loitering around downtown when I came across one of the local news anchors.  This woman is a big local celebrity and I noticed that she was eyeing me.  I turned towards her hoping she was not going to tell me my skirt was stuck in my underwear when she said, “I love your style.”  “Holy shit!” I thought.  “I’m almost famous!”…yes, I seriously thought this. 
   Remembering this now makes me recall a conversation I had with a coworker the other day.  This individual does not know me that well.  Somehow we had gotten into a discussion about what we do on our days off.  I had mentioned I like to dress up and he couldn't fathom why I would do such a thing.  “Don’t you like to just put on sweats and watch football,” he asked me.  Again, obviously he has no idea who I am.  At the time I had almost felt guilty.  Why don’t I just chill out in crappy clothes?  Am I seriously that uptight?  Has narcissism totally taken over?  After writing this post I feel like replying, “I try to look my best at all times because one never knows which local newscaster might decide they like your style.”  Wait…that still sounds kind of sad.
-r. 

No comments:

Post a Comment