Saturday, September 23, 2017

What Would Joey Wear?












   To be completely honest this collection of pictures feels a bit like a cop-out.  Upon looking at them now, I wonder why I felt compelled to document such an all over, “Meh,” ensemble.  I guess I could reason that even the most accomplished style bloggers, (of which I’m not), wear uninspired outfits.  Perhaps I could argue that by posting this outfit I was simply attempting to make the statement that one can still adore fashion while being unfashionable.  I mean, sometimes a girl just wants to wander the aisles of Walmart comfortably.
   While I could try to pass these pictures off as an, “every woman wears Converse sometimes,” philosophy I have to admit I would be totally lying regarding the intention behind posting these images.  However, we’ll get to that point later.  First I want to linger on the Converse idea for a moment.  Lately, I’ve noticed a welcome resurgence of this brand while people watching.  Specifically, I've noticed a lot of young fashionable females sporting classic Chucks. These women have their ridiculously super skinny jeans on with white canvas high tops and all I can think is, “Man, Joey Ramone would be impressed!  Cut that blonde pretty pretty pony hair into some blunt bangs and you've really got something we can work with girl!”  I suppose now is the appropriate time to reveal that when styling an outfit I often find myself thinking, “I wonder if Joey Ramone would approve of this look?”  In fact, I have a whole panel of, “style icons,” (most of who are no longer living) that I strive to impress.  Truly, my brother can attest to the hundreds of times I’ve uttered, “I really just want the outfit to look like Joey Ramone, you know?”  His response is always a cackling, “Why the hell do you want to look like him?”  My answer is usually the same, “Because he was someone you couldn’t avoid staring at.  He was an imperfectly perfect reflection of a whole movement of music and culture.  Plus, nobody to this day does bangs like Joey did!”    
   Whew!...sorry, I get worked up about my fashion panel icons.  At some point I’ll have to reveal my other style heroes.  In the meantime, I have to mention while I’m pleased to see young fashionistas getting comfortable in Converse I’m confused by this new version of them.  Today’s high tops and flannel shirts have a slight punk rock feel due to the popular addition of skinny jeans or…ugh…leggings.  While I’m fully supportive of a punk vibe, I can’t quite understand matching it with perfectly applied makeup and ponytails.  I find myself lamenting, “this new generation of women has no idea how to wear a pair of Converse.” 
   It was certainly not like that back in my day.  No siree!  Back in my day us stylish ladies would wear black on black Converse high tops.  We’d pair them with our dad’s old jeans and Soundgarden t-shirts that were three sizes too big.  Over that we’d wear at least two mismatched flannels and, more than likely, an additional one tied around our waist.  We barely combed our hair and NEVER wore even a hint of makeup…and guess what?!  We looked like shit!  However, I've never felt more legit in my entire life.  Isn’t it interesting how I felt THE COOLEST when I looked the worst? 
   I guess I should clarify that when I state, “we,” I really just mean me.  Admittedly, back in the nineties, small town South Dakota was not the hub of grunge fashion.  However there were several of us brave pioneers that dressed how I described.  In fact, I'm fairly certain I have a picture somewhere of me wearing this exact outfit.  A picture that proves this lady knew how to wear a pair of Converse shoes!  Not like the women today who have their makeup and perfectly straightened hair!  Yep, this lady is so much cooler than the primped woman in the photographs abov….wait…ahh...damn it!!!  Okay, so even the, "grungiest," of us like to document our good makeup days…and THAT'S my deep secret reason for publishing this blog post.  Ugh…
-r.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment