Sunday, May 29, 2016

Channeling My Inner, "Dude"













   Lately I’ve been forced to relearn a hard lesson.  As of about two weeks ago I decided it was time for a career change.  Sometimes you just know when it’s time to move on.  For someone who has absolute disdain for anything different, this is a major happening.  On the other hand, I’m beginning to realize there’s a certain freedom that comes with change that is truly awesome.  Basically, I’m learning to let go.
   If you know me personally you’re aware of the fact that I love listening to music on my turntable.  I even have a special room in my house devoted specifically to this activity.  This room consists of a vintage record player, many crates full of my treasured albums, and one lovely Indian carpet that I lie on.  In fact, I think there’s probably a worn section in the shape of my silhouette on this rug's surface.  Now I'll admit there's been several times I’ve considered investing in a piece of furniture, in order to enjoy my music more comfortably.  As time goes by it seems to be getting progressively harder to relax on a hardwood floor and not have, "dead legs," upon standing.  However, I just can’t seem to take the leap to legitimate seating.  I guess I've always liked lying on the floor.  It just seems so bohemian,…so not adult-like…so, “Dude...ish."
   Yes, I’ll admit it.  I’m one of the MANY individuals who adore the movie, “The Big Lebowski.”  Not only does this film have one of the finest soundtracks, it contains possibly the most inspiring character I’ve ever been introduced to.  “The Dude,” is one of those personalities I’ve always aspired to be.  For God’s sake the man walks around in public wearing Cowichan sweaters and Jelly shoes!  He unabashedly writes checks for under a dollar and seems to never get bent out of shape about anything…unless it has to do with someone peeing on his favorite rug…because as we all know, “That rug really tied the room together!”  Basically, what it comes down to is, “The Dude,” possesses a version of Zen that almost seems attainable when one is lying on their favorite Indian carpet while listening to Bob Dylan.  In addition, combine this with the fact that I now find myself temporarily between jobs and I feel like I may have finally unlocked the door to, “The Dude’s,” universe!  
   As a result of my recent change of pace, I’ve noticed my wardrobe altering.  I find myself drawn to the, “ugly,” pants in my closet.  They’re just so darn comfortable!  I also seem to be wearing a wallet chain.  What tha?!  Lastly, I've finally unearthed my Jelly shoes, which seem like a real no-brainer now.  One won’t find a more comfortable option for footwear out there…except when a rock gets stuck in the sole of them.  Yep, that sucked when it happened in fourth grade and it still sucks now!  Upon taking pictures of this ensemble I gasped at the realization that, “I’m starting to transform into, “The Dude!”  One would think that a 36 year old female style blogger would be horrified by this thought, but I must admit I was excited.
   I find great comfort in letting the quest for perfection go.  For as long as I can remember I’ve always tried to create a facade of faultlessness.  I seem to need people to like me.  I want others to refer to me as, “That witty girl who never stops making me laugh.  You know the one who always wears the fantastic outfits, and can you believe she’s in her late 30’s?!” 
   Of course, looking at these pictures now and reflecting on my favorite movie character I find myself asking, “What would, “The Dude,” want others to say about him?"  The only answer I can come up with is, “The Dude,” would never think of something as trivial as that.”  It now seems clear that, “The Dude,” is only concerned with HIS daily interests and of course, the condition of his rug.  Lying here now on my rug, wearing my Jelly shoes, I find myself only concerned with whether to put Stevie Wonder or Fleetwood Mac on the old turntable.  I look down at my beloved carpet and find myself smiling at the idea that, “Boy, this rug really does tie the room together.”
-r.



T Shirt:  Junk Food
Jeans:  Thrifted
Shoes:  Thrifted
Purse:  Frye
Wallet Chain:  (Gift from a friend)
Bracelet:  Thrifted




No comments:

Post a Comment