Sunday, May 1, 2016

Sewing the Seeds of Style















   I’m a big fan of theme dressing.  Often I construct my wardrobe around recent interests.  Of course these topics are likely to change at the drop of a hat, (a very stylish hat, of course.)  Yes, it would be accurate to define me as a, “flavor of the month,” fashionista.  I may be fickle regarding each of my obsessions, however this makes me no less passionate in regards to my enthusiasm towards them.
    By the looks of the above photographs, my current fixation seems centered on the topic of spring.  "Despite these interests, how does one end up wearing a tacky sweater covered in embroidered seed packets and define themselves a style conscious individual?” you wonder.  “Well, I’ll tell you how,” I answer.  Basically, there are certain themes I’m constantly drawn to in regards to clothing.  Simultaneously, I’m not proud to admit I’ve temporarily fallen victim to many unflattering trends.  For example, "Damn you Pepperidge Farm for destroying skinny jeans!"  Wait, I didn’t mean that.  I love your cookies more than any glamour shot in tight denim.  Besides, it's a fact this throwback was meant to wear bell bottoms from birth.  Keeping this last statement in mind, it wouldn't be uncommon for a flighty individual like me to get heavily interested in Goth music for a few weeks, sparking the decision to only wear black for the rest of the month.  Of course considering my often over the top behavior, I'd probably opt for a look combining not only lots of black, but also multiple bejeweled cross necklaces and black leather fingerless gloves.  Wait, how did I transform the Goth scene into 1980's Madonna?  Easy, I’ve been staring at pictures of her for months now so don’t be surprised if reminiscent images start sneaking into my blog photos.  Like I said, "I’m fickle."  One day it’s granola and tattered Levi’s, the next it’s espresso and rabbit fur coats.  Uh...by the way, make that coffee a decaf, please.
   Returning to the topic at hand, my present passion seems to revolve around the subject of spring.  This is not surprising considering I’m an individual who works in the horticulture industry and currently my life is consumed by this season.  Basically, I’m surrounded by flowers constantly and I can’t seem to get them off my mind!  I know, an existence that revolves around the varied topics of Madonna, cookies, and Mother Nature is just no way to live…unless, one has a crazy seed packet sweater to openly advertise their idiosyncrasies!  I guess what I’m trying to get across here is that even though I have constantly evolving interests, my main passion has always revolved around the truly strange.  Basically, if I pull something from a thrift store rack and think, “What the heck is this?!,” it’s most likely going home with me.  Of course, lately if this happens and the item in question possesses traits remotely related to anything green and growing it’s undoubtedly my new favorite thing.  I mean, I work at a greenhouse.  I have every excuse to own a sweater with needlepoint eggplants on it.
   I have to admit the real reason I purchased the sweater I’m wearing in the above photographs was to wear during the children's tours I guide at my workplace.  In fact, I’ve bought several eccentric nature inspired pieces over the years based on the intention of amusing kids.  I reasoned if my often boring and robotic speeches can’t hold their attention, my clothing ought to.  However, it’s not uncommon for me to obtain one of these, “crazy,” articles of clothing only to realize, “Hey, I think I bought this sweater for myself!  This is way too cute to wear to work, only to get dirty.”  All of a sudden, I’ve got a closet full of plant inspired patterns and no inkling of how they got there.  “Does this wardrobe really say Madonna?” I ponder.
   Despite my doubts, I stand by my growing collection of nature inspired clothing.  I figure, “Yeah I’m a flower child, in more ways than one.”  Besides, those black leather fingerless gloves I bought during Goth week only made my hands hot anyway.  Who wants to eat Pepperidge Farm cookies with sweaty fingers?
-r.



Sweater:  Thrifted  (Ugly sweater rack at Savers)
Skirt:  Ann Taylor LOFT
Boots:  J. Jill
Purse:  Frye
Necklace:  Thrifted
Ring:  Purchased at a craft fair
Sunglasses:  Kenzo

No comments:

Post a Comment