Wednesday, May 20, 2015

"Against the Wind"





 







   There are times in every individual's life where each day seems like an uphill battle.  For those of us employed in the green industry that time is usually about now.  It is this time of year that I reluctantly wake up every morning to the obnoxious sound of my alarm clock informing me it's time to start the, "same ol', same ol'," all over again.  I literally sit bolt upright in my bed every morning thinking, "What day is it?  Am I late for work?"  Of course, I eventually remember the day and upon doing this envision it written in perfect cursive font across the bottom of my disheveled, still in bed, image. Monday, it says and I'm sitting bolt upright in bed.  Tuesday, it says and I'm sitting bolt upright in bed.  Wednesday, it says and...you get the picture.  Yep, in the springtime I'm basically living in my own version of the movie, "Groundhog Day."  Actually, defining this in print makes me realize I should have changed my alarm ringtone to Sonny & Cher's, "I Got you Babe," years ago.  I mean, why fight it?
   What I'm getting at here is at this time of year my life is a series of events that includes;  wake up with increasingly hideous hair, fight droves of impatient customers all day long, try to figure out if one can actually make a meal out of fruit cocktail and pretzels, watch half and hour of 80's sitcoms before I pass out from exhaustion only to do it all again in the morning.  While I have to admit that I do love my job at the greenhouse, I also need to clarify that I don't always love it enough to give up my whole identity.  Unfortunately, like most working adult Americans today, I too have found it hard to balance my hobbies and daily work routine.
   About a month back I was able to find a little extra time to attend a Bob Seger concert.  I figured this was about the best reason I was going to get to skip my nightly episode of, "Family Ties," before bed.  I have to state that, "Boy, was I right!"  This concert was fantastic.  I couldn't believe how great Bob and his band sounded.  Not only that, but his stage presence was truly a joy to watch.  The man couldn't have looked happier doing what he was doing...what he has been doing EVERYDAY since about 1960!  It was impressive to see someone enjoying themselves so much at a job that is much more demanding than spending a couple of months slinging plants to the public.  I left this concert feeling inspired.  I went out those event center doors feeling like the mayor of, "Mainstreet." I had, "Night Moves," damn it!  Actually, I was just coherently moving at night which hadn't happened in a while due to my usual 9:30 PM  bedtime.  Basically, Bob Seger gave me my social life back along with the much needed reminder to, "roll with the punches."  Even if it feels like waking up to the same uppercut every day.  
   The day I took these pictures I was still feeling the effects of my positive evening with Bob Seger. Instead of counting down every hour of precious free time on my only day off, I actually enjoyed my time.  This day I spent serious minutes on the mundane things.  I woke up slowly without that immediate feeling of dread.  I actually BRUSHED my hair, went to the grocery store, and simply sat in the quiet of my backyard away from all the chaos of the world of retail.  I look at these pictures now and I want to thank Mr. Seger for reminding me that work doesn't have to suck because life includes many other things.  I hope to remember that we are all fighting, "Against the Wind."  Being the southpaw that I am, I figure that gives me somewhat of an advantage.
-r.



Jacket:  Gap
Skirt:  Vintage (Handmade)  https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/enidandedgar  
Boots:  Vintage
Purse:  Lucky Brand
Sunglasses:  Versace
Bob Seger's, "Against the Wind":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8x9oNZ7CcI   



No comments:

Post a Comment