Sunday, April 19, 2015

Sons of A...m I the Only One Who Finds this Disturbing?














   I like to think of myself as fairly, "worldly," and by this I mean streetwise.  I mean, Hey...I lived in Uptown, Minneapolis for about three years.  During that period of time my apartment was burglarized.  I saw my friend's purse get snatched right out from under her arm.  My ex-boyfriend's car got stolen...in broad daylight...during a snowstorm!  Despite the fact that I am presently a thirty-something woman living in South Dakota I have been exposed to small doses of urban life. Not to mention, I can darn near recite the entire script of the movie, "Juice," to anyone who may be interested.  Of course, I may not be as compelling as Tupac Shakur's character was at the time, but mark my words I'm no less passionate about romanticizing urban street life.  
   My point here is I don't think of myself as sheltered.  In my lifetime I have been the victim of small scale crime.  Maybe, I myself have even participated in some shenanigans.  Yes even me, the "straight edge", decaf swilling, "no roasted red peppers on that please, it kills my stomach," lady has had her moments hanging with the riffraff.  Yep, no sissy's here.  Does a wuss watch, "American Horror Story?"  Can a yellow belly deal daily with the general public at her job?  Most importantly can a namby-pamby pull off wearing a Wu-Tang Clan sweatshirt?  I think not!
   Now that I've established my street cred I can finally get to the point of this post.  Recently, my boyfriend and I tried to get into the TV show, "Sons of Anarchy."  I had been warned by several individuals that this show was extremely graphic and not for the, "faint of heart."  However, due to the several reasons I previously mentioned, compounded with the fact that I'm a South Dakotan and thought I should be familiar with biker culture, I was confident in my ability to, "handle," this show.  I WAS SO WRONG!  Again, give me a movie like,  "Boyz N the Hood," any day.  "Breaking Bad," no problem!  Heck, I own the entire, "Nightmare on Elm Street," box set and never once was as horrified during that as I was watching, "Sons of Anarchy."  I guess the difference is I can justify the violence of three kids trying to survive growing up in the ghetto.  I can empathize with one chemistry teacher's metamorphosis into a drug lord for the sake of his family's financial future.  Finally, I simply find Freddy Krueger less frightening than the character of Gemma in, "Sons of Anarchy." 
   In closing, upon wearing the outfit pictured above, I had someone tell me my purse reminded them of, "Sons of Anarchy."  I smiled thinking how a cream puff like me had paired it with a sweater from the Banana Republic.  All I could think was, "Yo, you got the juice now."
-r.



Jacket:  Mossimo Supply Co
Sweater:  Banana Republic
Jeans:  Guess
Boots:  Hunter
Purse:  Loungefly  https://www.loungefly.com/
Mittens:  Handmade (Purchased at a craft fair)
Earrings:  Handmade (Gift from a friend)



(Little House of Haute will now be posting every Sunday AND Wednesday until further notice.)
  

2 comments:

  1. Well I spent a long time in big cities and not in the best neighborhoods. I have witnessed robberies and experienced burglaries and even physical confrontations on the sidewalks. However, I only watched about one episode of Sons of Anarchy. However, maybe is will give it another try after reading this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you can handle it. definitely, mom can handle it :)

      Delete