Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Posing or Poser?













   Recently it occurred to me that people may actually believe I know what I'm talking about when regarding fashion.  Let me clarify that statement for everyone.  I was aware of the fact that people know I love fashion.  I also suspected people realized, through this blog, I may be trying to live out some kind of glamorous juvenile dream of being famous in the industry I adore.  What never occurred to me is that people would seriously think my opinion on personal style really held any weight.  I mean I write a fashion blog, but really most of the time I end up rambling on about hanging out at the coffee shop in my mid-thirties.  Maybe that should have been the main focus of this blog. Unfortunately, I'm just too narcissistic to be satisfied with hundreds of pictures of tall decaf vanilla lattes.  Plus, I have a really great sweater collection that is too fun not to share.
   The reason I was suddenly confronted with the idea that people may think I'm some sort of expert on the topic of style is simple.  I literally had an individual say to me, "Aren't you an expert in fashion?"  My first reaction to this was to snort in agreement to what I thought at the time was a sarcastic crack towards my blog.  However this, "Negative Nancy," was soon shamed upon realizing the individual talking sincerely believed I was a professional regarding the topic of fashion. In that instant I was extremely flattered, yet equally horrified by the idea that I may have some sort of obligation to understand what it is I'm talking about.  Does a fashion blogger have a moral responsibility to correctly inform her readers?  In other words, if I insist that harem pants are the, "bee's knees," and some little wide eyed fashionista gets beat up in South Dakota because they wore them, is that on me?  Are people actually listening to what I think is cool?  Wait...are people actually reading this blog?!  I thought I was just constructing the ultimate scrap book.
   I will state since starting, "Little House of Haute," I have had some pretty awesome opportunities to get involved in the local fashion scene.  I modeled on the cover of a local magazine.  I did a photo shoot with some good friends in order to advertise for my absolute favorite local vintage boutique, Elofson. Lastly, I hit the runway as a model for a charity fashion show in order to raise money to help cure kids cancer.  I had an absolute blast participating in all of these events.  Furthermore, I'm certain I would've never done them if not for this blog and the exposure it has given me.  Basically, I'm a true believer that one must always listen to the whispering voice saying, "if you build it they will come."
   Of course, leave it to me to over-analyze things rather than roll with it.  Lately, I find myself worrying about how long I can keep, "fooling," everyone.  So, here it is.  Here is where I admit yet again, "I am not an expert in fashion."  In fact, I'm not sure one can define anyone as an actual expert in fashion.  I believe personal style is a type of art form and therefore, completely subjective.   As with fine art, I think individuals can study the history of fashion including things like it's origins, patterns, and technical execution.  However, when one chooses to ignore the latest trends and pursue what they believe to be their true aesthetic identity through apparel, anything goes.  Maybe that's why I love both fine art and fashion so much.  Unlike the realms of science and math there are very few rules that haven't been successfully broken.
   In closing, a fashion expert I am not.  You can define me as a fashion enthusiast.  Do I get every outfit right?  Heck no!  Do I wear every outfit with the attitude that in no way could it be wrong? Absolutely yes, even if it involves harem pants in South Dakota.
-r.



Coat:  Vintage  (Betty Rose)
Sweater:  Vintage
Jeans:  Gap
Boots:  Ugg
Purse:  Lucky Brand
Belt:  Anthropologie
Sunglasses:  Versace
   

No comments:

Post a Comment