Sunday, September 14, 2014

Thou Shalt Not Covet Another's Couture












   Uh, "Sha, Right!," is all I can reply in answer to the title of this post.  Most fashion minded people spend an enormous amount of time coveting someone else's wardrobe or sense of style.  Unfortunately, when it comes to fashion, there always seems to be something trendier or more chic out there.  As a result, many of us self proclaimed fashionistas develop what is often referred to as, style crushes.  For those of you not familiar with this idea it is when one fashion conscious individual may experience a burning desire to emulate another fashion conscious individual's personal style.  Basically, it is when you find yourself thinking, "damn, that chic looks cool!"
   Recently, a friend and I were discussing our current local style crushes and I was relieved to hear that I was not the only individual in the area displaying stalker like tendencies in order to catch a glimpse of another's newest outfit.  Okay, maybe stalker is a little extreme but I will admit to paying very close attention to some of what I think are South Dakota's finest representations of fashion.  I wish I had the confidence to approach them about photographing their style for this blog.  I enjoy fashion blogs that concentrate on, "street style," and hope to someday incorporate this theme into my pictures.  I want to pay homage to my sisters of style since they are a major reason I feel comfortable enough to admit my interest in fashion, a topic that is often criticized as being frivolous and elitist.  
   In response to these criticisms, on the day my friend and I had our style crush discussion we each revealed our current local fashion icons. Her individual was one who's heavily tattooed appearance could only be described as a hybrid between glam and goth.  My style guru was a little bohemian inspired girl whose dreadlocked hair was chock full of chunky beads, charms, and even a full sized pocket watch!  Now I ask you, what is elitist about this pair?  I was surprised that neither one of us mentioned anything about the often coveted Louis Vuitton types roaming around town.  I also could not help but smirk at our own fairly clean cut appearances.  If ever confronted by our style crushes the only thing I can think to say would be in the immortal words of Wayne and Garth, "We are not worthy! We are not worthy!"
-r.



T Shirt:  dELiAs (I am aware that I am way too old to shop at this store, but this t shirt has, "The Kiss," by Gustav Klimt on it!  I could not resist.)
Skirt:  CHAPS
Purse:  Lucky Brand
Bracelets:  Thrifted
Sunglasses:  Vintage  https://www.facebook.com/shopelofson



ATTENTION:  Little House of Haute will now be publishing new posts every Sunday AND Wednesday.  Basically, work has been slow and I have had a lot of free time to write and then hoard unpublished posts.  We will see if I can maintain this twice a week schedule when work picks up again!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment