Sunday, August 3, 2014

Let Your Geek Flag Fly











   I love geeks.  I looked up the definition of, "geek," on the internet and it read, "an unfashionable or socially inept person."  Unfashionable?...I am not sure I can agree with that.  Obviously, this definition was formed before the, oh so trendy, geek chic movement of the 1990s.  The individuals of that particular scene obsessed in chat rooms about bands like, "Weezer," and comic books like, "Ghost World."  These, often heavily sardonic and always bespectacled individuals made it cool to be socially inept, awkwardly dressed, and unfavorably sarcastic.  I remember thinking, "wait, I can embrace all of these qualities and admit to liking Star Trek as well?  Where is the bad?"
   Of course with time all things shall pass, and eventually the geek chic scene was perverted into what now is referred to as hipster culture.  While the thick rimmed glasses remained, the modern day hipster is someone who is often quite social and extremely in tune to what is currently fashionable.  Like their predecessors, hipsters also love music and literature.   However, rather than forming the, "cult," mentality of the socially starving geek community, they often try to alienate each other with the most obscure cultural references possible.  An example of this can be taken from the above pictures.  Being the geek that I admittedly am, I could state, "I used to love the Wonder Woman TV show!"  A hipster would most likely respond, "Yes, and I actually had cocktails once with the guy who sang the theme song for that show."  Similarly. a geek may rant about watching a marathon of Joss Whedon's, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," while a hipster will almost always casually drop how many, "Vampire Weekend," concerts they have attended.  
   I am not claiming I have no hipster qualities.  I readily admit I was an art major in college, I have always had a deep appreciation for witty banter, and I absolutely love vintage and thrift store shopping.  However, I also admit to loving the science fiction and horror genres of entertainment. In addition, I enjoy going to the occasional comic book shop, and did I mention I hang out with my parents... like, a lot.
   While discussing our interests, I had a younger coworker once say to me, "You're like a total hipster except, old school."  I choose to believe this statement means I am 1990s geek chic type, instead of simply an old hipster.
-r.



T Shirt:  Thrifted (Wonder Woman logo hand drawn by previous owner)
Pants:  GAP
Shoes:  Dr Scholl's
Purse:  j.jill  www.jjill.com
Earrings:  Vintage
Necklace:  Vintage (Avon)
Bracelet:  Thrifted
Sunglasses:  Vintage (Anne Klein)

No comments:

Post a Comment