Sunday, March 30, 2014

Unplugged









   Sometimes we are forced to be creative.  Being someone who likes to think of herself as a naturally creative individual, it pains me to admit that at times I need an extra push to seek out inspiration.  Many nights it is all too easy to get caught in front of  my laptop for hours trolling my favorite Etsy shops for vintage treasures when I originally intended to sew, read, or FINALLY draw again.  However, sometimes we do not have a choice in the matter.  Sometimes to our great dismay, we find ourselves without modern luxuries like the Internet.  Suddenly, a person finds themselves faced with evenings void of Facebook, Netflix, or Pinterest.  These nights are a good time to see what one is made of.  Yes people, these nights are often referred to as, "roughing it," and let me tell you it can get ugly quickly.
   Unfortunately, I found myself in one of these Mark Twain type situations, not so long ago.  I was beginning a long anticipated three day weekend when suddenly I was greeted with brutally cold weather temperatures and a malfunctioning internet connection at home.  It was, the perfect storm.  
   Much like the, "5 stages of loss and grief," I found myself experiencing a series of emotions that quite honestly freaked my boyfriend out.  The first night started with mild discontent, followed by a shrug of the shoulders and an apathetic, "oh, it will be fixed by the morning.  The second day was more of an annoyed  mood which accompanied me to my regular Starbucks for an afternoon using public Wi-Fi.  The third day, and quite honestly the ugliest day, resulted in me yelling at my boyfriend that he, "didn't love me anymore and I was moving out!"  I think there may have been some rocking back and forth and bargaining going on as well but the whole episode is still kinda foggy.
   Okay, maybe it wasn't that bad, but the lack of internet access over my three day weekend definitely brought out some less desirable qualities in me.  However, the extra time being unplugged allowed me to catch up on my reading, spend some semi-quality time with my boyfriend, and construct what has to be my favorite outfit I have posted yet.  I may now understand why some of the most creative people in time were the most tortured.  They didn't have the Internet.
-r.




Jacket:  Ann Taylor
Jeans:  Silver Jeans
Boots:  Born  www.bornshoes.com
Purse:  Dooney & Bourke  www.dooney.com
Scarf:  Vintage
Gloves:  The Limited
Lipstick:  Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss (01)  http://us.rimmellondon.com/products/lips/lasting-finish-by-kate-moss
   
   

3 comments:

  1. I like this blog entry and I remember being careful talking with you while you were jonesing for your Internet service. It was a little unnerving for me. I'm glad it all worked out. Oh and you look great in these photos. I like the outfit, but then, what do I know from fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! yes, it was a trying time for us all. Thank you for the nice compliments. Oh, and you know a lot about fashion. You practically "wrote the book" on the small check dress shirt!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete