Sunday, April 8, 2018

Singing Those Ellen Brody Blues












   It’s snowing…again.  As a result, I decided I had better get up and write this blog post before I’m trapped in another winter funk.  For example, I just ripped myself away from the sucking pit known as YouTube, where suddenly I found myself watching an unnerving amount of Tommy James & The Shondells performances.  I had no idea how well the shimmery finale of, “Crimson and Clover,” would pair with a blizzard outside.  Honestly, thank God I have cats who randomly decide to pounce on me otherwise that hypnotic experience might have gone on forever.
   The weather here has been so poor lately I find myself grasping for any indication of a coming summer.  For example, my obsession with nautical themed apparel seems to have reached a new high.  I find myself constantly perusing websites in the endless conquest for sailor stripes.  In fact, my new clothing criteria seems to be the question, “Does that red stripe print look like the beach building Michael was painting in, “Jaws 2?”  By the time July finally arrives in the Midwest it will be a miracle if I don’t look exactly like the character Ellen Brody.  Okay, who am I kidding?  It would be a dream come true if I DO look like Ms. Brody.  I love her!
   Keeping this new style plan in mind, I’m finding it nearly impossible to fight the overwhelming urge to internet shop today.  I mean...I’m stuck at home, totally at the mercy of this spring squall, with only the thoughts of a new and exciting, “Jaws,” inspired wardrobe to keep me warm.  How am I supposed to combat these urges?
   Instead of immediately giving in to, “buying myself a little happy,” I’m attempting to write this post about an outfit I constructed a while back out of clothes I already possess.  Yeah, that’s the ticket, I should be focusing all this style inspiration on my existing closet and the mountains of crap I already own…crap, that admittedly does not look like the wardrobe of one fabulous Ellen Brody…which is probably why I’m now convinced my wardrobe is crap.
   Despite the fact that I'm obviously totally fickle when it comes to style, I have to state that looking at these pictures now I still really like the thrifted blazer I’m wearing.  It was one of those things I scavenged out of a crammed rack and thought, “I can wear this absolutely everywhere!”  Of course, I’m ashamed to admit I have not.  Unfortunately, like many of my favorite pieces, this is one of those jackets that has been pushed to the side to make room for more, “practical pieces.”  It’s like my brain figures I need a special occasion to justify wearing a furry collar.  Looking out my window now I can’t help but recognize there is no better occasion to pile on fur than an unrelenting winter.  In the past I've felt guilty about the amount of fuzzy numbers in my closet.  I would catch myself wondering, “Where the hell am I going to wear all of this fancy stuff?  People at the library are really going to start staring at me.”  However, looking at the shit storm currently outside, I can’t think of a more appropriate wardrobe.  My fur coats allow me to survive and look semi stylish.
   Huh…I guess for the time being I have all the clothes I need.  I would assume that even Ellen Brody had to throw on a jacket once in a while when it got cold.  I like to think that maybe she would have borrowed one from me. 
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment