Saturday, March 31, 2018

A Shawl So Good The Cold Makes You Smi...ver













   The day I took these photographs was obviously freezing.  In fact, many of the pictures you see in this blog were taken in weather that a sane person would not tolerate.  However considering where I live, I think it’s fairly safe to question my sanity. 
   I state the day was, “obviously,” freezing because of the redness of my nose in these images.  This was something that initially irritated me.  However, it reminded me of a kind observation a friend once made towards one of my older winter portraits.  He said, “He liked that my nose looked red in it.  He could tell I was cold.”  I thought about this statement for quite a while.  Finally, I came to the conclusion that not all glamour shots have to be perfect.  In fact, a little humanity might be just what the fashion industry needs in order to engage more people.  Something like….Yes, that picture is pretty.  But guess what, the person in it is not an android.  Look at her nose.  That woman is cold.  I think she might have feelings!  I might be able to relate to her!  Perhaps if real models would once in a while be allowed to show just a little bit of imperfection they would be a lot more endeared by the general public. 
   That being said, I guess it’s these imperfections that separate this blogger hobbyist from the real deal.  I'm far from perfect and no matter how many fancy scarves and accessories I cover up with I’m still going to have that cold red nose and lipstick on my teeth.  I like to think of this as my, “Trainwreck Who Tries,” look.  I take comfort in the idea that everyone wants to root for the underdog with heart…right…am I right?
   I guess that’s why when I FINALLY got a smart phone I became absolutely obsessed with camera apps.  I couldn’t believe the altering possibilities.  Finally I could turn those, “meh,” images into something inspiring.  I could digitally morph myself into looking perfect!  Interestingly enough, most of the images I’ve messed with have come out looking rather sinister.  Admittedly, I’ve always been inclined to go this direction.  I can’t seem to help revealing my creepy side.  I mean come on, a lady who constantly walks around with lipstick on her teeth is obviously a little creepy.  The thought has crossed my mind that perhaps the world of Instagram might understand this, "personal style blogger," better if I just stuck to glamour glow and smoothing filters.  However, how can I pair an image like that with a Gordon Lightfoot quote?  Nope…can’t happen.
   So I continue to periodically post semi ghoulish images under the guise of a fashion blogger simply because I’m not confident enough to label myself an artist.  Honestly, I’m not comfortable with calling myself a fashion blogger either.  It’s like the idea of committing to these titles make me feel an enormous pressure to prove that I'm worthy of them.  Instead, this lady would rather bumble along with her hobby and enjoy the occasional thrill of capturing a picture like the last one featured in this post.  I have to state that currently this image is my favorite self portrait so far.  I can’t fully explain the feeling I get when I look at one of these images as think, “Yeah, that’s me.  That’s exactly how I feel.”  Of course, this image is one that I’ve altered so that my natural imperfections are not showing.  Without my habitually cold red nose, I really am starting to wonder if I might be an android. 
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment