Friday, March 2, 2018

Ahoy Cowboy!












   Have you ever had a fantastic piece of clothing that you just couldn’t figure out how to wear?  That’s the problem I’ve always had with the poncho I’m wearing in the above photographs.  Upon first finding it I was instantly in love.  I believe it's obvious that I have a serious addiction to Southwestern patterns.  This combined with the above color palette was something that I found irresistible.  I left the store that day feeling confident I had found an inherently, “Rayna,” piece.
   However, the first time I tried to actually wear this poncho I found it rather bulky and unflattering.  Go figure, a poncho that’s baggy?!  I would’ve never thought.  As a result, I’m ashamed to admit this piece hung abandoned in my closet for MANY years.  It wasn’t until very recent that the idea finally struck me, “Belt it, you dummy!” 
   The above ensemble is a result of this epiphany.  I’m so pleased to report I found the perfect concho belt at my local vintage store for an extremely reasonable price.  Concho belts are something I believe could be seriously problematic for me.  Thank God most of the ones I seem to like are well beyond my price range.  One of my ultimate wardrobe wishes is to someday acquire one of these vintage sterling silver and turquoise beauties.  However, until the day my conscience allows my credit card to spend this much on a belt I will be more than happy to sport around this less expense model. 
   Despite it’s cheaper cost, I can’t believe how pleased I’ve been with this belt.  Finally I can wear the poncho I shamefully pushed to the back of my closet.  I knew I should always trust my gut with clothing!  I stick by my argument of, “Just buy it!...and figure out how to wear it later…years later.” 
   Looking at these pictures now, I can’t help but feel justified in owning so many Southwestern inspired pieces.  Can a lady really have too many?  Truthfully, I kind of want to answer, “Yes!”  While I’m well aware that my addiction to this pattern is far from over, I have to admit I’m starting to feel the need to move on.  Of course I blame this totally on YouTube.  Specifically, I would like to thank Ralph Lauren for making me seriously consider trashing everything in my closet to pursue a completely nautical themed wardrobe.  This would be totally appropriate for a woman living on the plains…right? 
   I think it's notable to mention it was recently fashion week in New York and those of us on the fringes of the style loop are forced to participate via internet.  Basically, for the last couple of weeks I’ve been glued to my computer watching fashion shows featuring clothing so good I feel compelled to renounce my entire closet.  As I mentioned before, Ralph Lauren’s nautical inspired collection blew me…well…out of the water with its’ breezy beach theme.  After I watched it I immediately made a list to identify all of the garments I possess that could translate easily into this look.  Ironically, the thrifting Gods also seem to be a fan of Ralph, considering I recently found the most adorable blue and white polka dot blazer at St. Vincent de Paul.  For someone who is totally land-locked I have a pretty decent collection of boat attire.  Now I just have to find some water!
   Lastly, I find it kind of sad to finally be over my obsession with the Southwestern print.  Mostly I feel this way because I can now actually wear the beautiful poncho featured in the pictures above.  I also wonder how I’m going to style this kick ass concho belt over a vintage sailor shirt.  It could be an interesting looking summer. 
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment