Saturday, February 24, 2018

There's a Fiery Ball in the Sky!!!













   Lately a lot of the kids at my work place have been asking me, “Why is it still light out?  Will this day ever end?!”  Of course, this question always comes just about the time our staff is trying to round everyone up for supper.  “Observant little buggers,” I thought the first occasion this inquiry was made.
   I’m fairly certain that young Rayna never paid this much attention to her surroundings.  To be totally honest, old Rayna is more concerned about whether the cafeteria will be serving those adorable smiley faced french fries with her mini turkey corn-dogs.  As a result, the first time one of the tykes mentioned the sun should not still be out at 5:30 PM I was totally taken by surprise.  “Finally, spring is coming,” I thought between bites of the cutest food one will ever enjoy.
   I guess I state, “finally,” because I’m really starting to get tired of this weather.  Winter is a time that I can’t help but feel sheepish about posing as a, “style blogger.”  Admittedly, there is very little styling going on in my closet right now.  While I have a pretty decent collection of vintage sweaters and coats, I feel unable to feature them correctly since I basically have to pile everything on at once in order to brave the elements.  In addition, I haven’t even looked at my jewelry in forever because, what’s the point of accessorizing when you’re just going to cover it all up with knitwear? 
   Thank God over the years I’ve developed the sense to stockpile images of fall ensembles.  I can state, “I’m thankful to post an actual outfit today instead of simple coat and hat combination shots taken while huddled in the dicey protective structure of Al and I’s dilapidated barn."  Side note, when I finally run out of fall pictures, this is what you will be subjected to.  I apologize for the monotony in advance.  However, I do feel like I have a legitimate excuse.  The weather is just too damn cold here to realistically traipse around outside for glamour shots.  Besides I don’t know what it is about that barn but the lighting in there is magical.  The day it collapses I will be eternally dismayed on where to take portraits.  Who knew I would look best in a barn?  Wait…that last statement seems like a set up for mean farm animal comparisons.  Ah, well…
   The upside to this dismal weather is that I have the PERFECT excuse to buy as many coats as my heart desires.  Clearly I can’t take my outerwear off during glamour shots this time of year.  In addition, I can’t possibly wear the same coat in every post.  Although soon it’s going to be clear what my favorite thrift store find was this season.  Some coats are just too good not to photograph over and over.  
   Lately, I find myself continually trying to justify my thrifting habit to my boyfriend, “This coat cost me $9.00 at the thrift store.  $9.00 bought me a kick ass blog picture that I will be able to enjoy when I’m 80…and taking glamour shots of myself wearing yet another $9.00 vintage treasure!”  I simply don't get what he doesn't understand. 
   Of course, right now my readers...reader?...is able to enjoy what I define as a, "styled," outfit.  Except really, the only noteworthy thing I have on in the above images is my favorite new vintage sweater…but hey, it’s okay if that’s what carries the look.  Besides, I stand behind the fact that I’m dressed up in these pictures.  It’s called a Canadian Tuxedo baby, and I’m ready to hit any snowy northern town in it!
-r.

2 comments:

  1. Lol, this winter is really taking a toll. I am sure you have more than 1 reader. I get the same way this time of year, all the evidence says everything is ok, but the mood says it's all for naught. That's a killer outfit and $9 is a hell of deal on that beauty. Hang in there, the kids are right, it will be balmy humid hide the pit stains weather soon :)

    ReplyDelete