Monday, September 26, 2016

And Then There Were 7













   I want to begin this post by stating, “I love the skirt I’m wearing in the above pictures.”  Looking at the colors of this fabric now I’m reminded of Vincent van Gogh’s painting, “The Starry Night.”  I can’t believe I ignored this beautiful piece for so long!  These photographs provide further proof that one can’t fully realize the potential of an article of clothing until they take pictures while wearing it.  Suddenly this skirt is no longer only a crumpled ball crammed into the bottom of my dresser drawer.  When I see these images I’m interested in this piece's possibilities.  I want to explore what other items I can pair it with.  Mostly I want to put it on a hanger, or at least fold the darn thing. 
   Speaking of, “The Starry Night,” I want to expand on this theme by discussing my own evenings.  Lately, I’ve been feeding something after the sun goes down.  Yep, you got it…it’s my internet shopping addiction.  So actually, I guess one could state it’s been a real smorgasbord at my house because not only have I been feeding the monkey called Yoox.com, but I’ve also been literally setting food outside for something at night.  Actually, by the amount of food that was being devoured each evening by some critter, I was beginning to question if my shoe obsession had literally taken on the physical form of a monkey…in designer pumps, of course.
   Okay, so maybe I knew all along I was feeding a kitten…in designer pumps, OF COURSE.  Actually, I was under the impression I was feeding two kittens.  I had seen them frequently scurrying around our barn and had hoped that by feeding them I could entice them to stick around.  They were so cute, so helpless, and so HUNGRY.  I immediately starting putting out massive bowls of kitten chow in the evenings and by morning these containers were always empty.  “My God, how much can two baby cats eat,”  I marveled.
   It was my boyfriend who finally posed the question, “What if you’re not just feeding kittens?”  He reasoned, we do live in the country and our yard has been known to host a number of creatures that have included everything from possums to even mountain lions.  No joke.  We actually had a park ranger visit us with a warning that a mountain lion had been spotted in our shelterbelt.  Apparently, these cats can travel up to something like forty miles a day so we were assured that it was most likely long gone.  However, I’m certain the ranger wasn’t counting on a giant bowl of Purina One Salmon & Tuna flavored cat food to be sitting at the mouth of a totally abandoned, yet completely welcoming barn.  Instantly, I was nervous.  What if I was feeding something other than kittens at night?  What if the next time I took glamour shots in the barn I got mauled by some hideous creature?  Lastly, was I going to go outside one morning only to find a giant ferocious monster running at me screaming, “I’M HUNGRY MOMMY!”  “Just what have I been feeding,” I wondered.
   My question was finally answered when I decided to go on a much needed stake-out.  That particular evening I set the food out and hid a distance away.   After a period of time I started to hear loud noises and upon inspection I realized my part monkey, part mountain lion, part chupacabra beast was actually SEVEN little kitties!  I guess all that shoe money is going to be eaten up for a while now.
-r.



Skirt:  Ann Taylor Loft
Wedges:  Thrifted
Belt:  Thrifted
Purse:  Vintage
Necklace:  Etsy
Sunglasses:  Dolce & Gabbana


No comments:

Post a Comment