Sunday, June 19, 2016

I Caught Destiny by the Throat













    I believe I’ve previously mentioned that sometimes the act of shopping seems smothered in destiny.  In other words, there are instances where certain pieces are simply meant to be owned by an individual.  For example, it’s like when my, “Spidey sense,” tingles after driving by a Goodwill store and I have to flip an illegal U-turn because, “God is telling me there is a pair of vintage, lace up, Made in Italy suede go-go boots waiting for me in aisle three!”  That actually happened to me once…OK, minus the minor traffic violation and the premonition of EXACTLY what was waiting for me.  Looking back now I guess I’m glad I didn’t have to tell a police officer the reason I erratically turned in the middle of the road was because, "Shoes that look like they belonged to Stevie Nicks at one time are in the thrift store."  However, if I had to explain this I like to believe law enforcement would totally understand.  I guess my overall point is to reiterate that shopping can be an activity that seems, "driven," by fate.   So people, stop feeling guilty about spending money on apparel!  These items are destined to be yours and the act of purchasing is simply out of your control.  How do you like that for justification?
   Recently, while my brother was in town visiting, I experienced one of these mysterious happenings.  I want to first clarify that my brother is definitely my, “bestie,” and I say this for many reasons.  Rather than list a bunch of random cliché justifications for this statement I'll simplify it to one.  The kid hears me say something like, “Oooh, this would be a perfect location for glamour shots!” and his response is, “Did you bring the camera?”  Anyone who is willing to crank out about eighty five pictures of me acting like an idiot in public is truly charitable.  Not to mention talented, since he has mastered the art of gracefully smoking while holding a camera.  What can I say?  He is definitely a born artist.  The pictures above are an example of an afternoon spent with the Hallman siblings.  On this particular day we got our coffee and proceeded to loiter at one of our favorite parks.  To explain, loitering is my second favorite activity only to glamour shots.  I have to say it really was an enjoyable afternoon full of wasting time.  However, admittedly on this day, our photo shoot had a purpose.  To be totally honest our, "aimless," meanderings were actually planned because I had a string of serendipity around my neck.
   What I’m referring to is the necklace I’m wearing in the above pictures.  As I mentioned earlier, I’m used to experiencing a type of strange intuition when it comes to hunting down prizes at the thrift store.  What I’m not familiar with is when these treasures actually find me.  To explain, the necklace I have on in these photographs was one that I had admired for years at a boutique in Fargo, ND.  As I’ve clarified in previous posts, my brother resides in Fargo, (a wonderful town I also used to live in), and I find myself going there quite often.  On several of my trips north, I would visit a particular store and always see the necklace, pictured above, lying in the jewelry case.  I would think, “Man, that is so cool!  I really should buy that.”  However, for one reason or another I would always let guilt talk me out of it.  “Rayna, you already went crazy at the Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch Thrift Store.  We don’t need to be outright gluttonous, now do we?”  I would hear in my head.  “Besides, it will be here next time I’m in town,” I would think and for quite a while I was right.  That necklace sat in the case for years, waiting for me to take it home, until one trip it was no longer there.  I have to admit I felt nearly sick about it. 
   Just a few weeks ago, but literally years after I had forgotten my missed opportunity, my brother handed me the necklace.  “Uh yeah, I thought it was pretty cool too and when you never bought it I actually snagged it for a friend of mine,” he admitted sheepishly.  He then continued, “But that friend moved away before I had the chance to give it to her so I’ve been hanging onto it in order to give to you and well…I kind of forgot.”  “Forgot!” I thought.  First this beautiful piece was stuck sitting in a display case for about three years and then when it was finally purchased it was, "forgotten," in a dude’s drawer!  The injustice!...the outrage!...the pure wrongness!...all of it just made me smile.  “Come to Mama,” I thought while finally putting on MY necklace.  A necklace that was actually purchased for someone else, but somehow found it's way back to me.  Now if that isn’t a beautiful fairy tale I don’t know what is.
-r.



Belt:  Thrifted 
Skirt:  Thrifted
Boots:  Vintage
Purse:  Vintage
Necklace:  Beijo Brazil  (Purchased from Zandbroz Variety in Fargo, ND)
Bracelet:  Thrifted
Sunglasses:  Coach



*All pictures taken by Zeb, except for the one below.  Everyone needs a glamour shot.








No comments:

Post a Comment