Sunday, March 13, 2016

For the Record











   Lately I’ve been guilty of neglecting my style blog.  I remember a time when I would daydream about the outfits I’d put together for each post.  People would be talking to me and even though I was nodding in agreement with them, in my head I was taking a mental tour of my closet in an attempt to piece together my next, “fabulous,” look.  Unfortunately, these last couple months I’ve just not felt that fabulous about my appearance. 
   Now please don’t get me wrong.  I’m hardly suffering from self-esteem problems.  I guess I just kind of feel like a formulaic fashionista.  My pictures are all starting to seem so similar.  Maybe I need a new hairstyle.  Or, could it be that I should check out new, "exotic," shoot locations instead of my backyard?  Perhaps it’s simply a case of needing to change my regular lipstick color.  Here’s an idea, “A new purse would be nice!”  I guess what I’m getting at is, I seem to be in kind of a funk regarding style so don’t be surprised if my next post features me wearing a pair of hot pink zebra print parachute pants.  Seriously, I believe this would be more compelling than my same old Ugg boots.
   Despite my present feelings of, “Meh,” toward my wardrobe, I have developed a strong interest in my music blog (www.fitgap.blogspot.com).  (Yes, that last sentence was a shameless plug, but if I don’t do it who will?)  Now when people talk to me I shake my head and say a lot of, “I get that,” while obsessively thinking about which 80’s new wave albums I still need to locate on vinyl in order to complete my collection.  I’ll confess I never thought I would find an addiction that matched the severity of my clothing compulsion.  However, guess what’s just as fun as hunting down vintage ESCADA belts?  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!  Okay, let’s try again…Guess what’s just as fun as rambling on for paragraphs about one’s addiction to vintage ESCADA belts?  Surprisingly, it’s almost more fun to babble about what one was listening to on their turntable while wearing vintage ESCADA.  (Side note:  This is an activity I’m dying to actually try out, considering all I do is browse ESCADA on Etsy, sigh... and end up with another belt from Brighton’s 80's collection.)  Not that there’s anything wrong with that.  However, one does have to wonder just what an, “ESCADA kind of lady,” might be listening to.  I’m thinking Lady Gaga, or maybe old school Madonna?  She’s certainly not listening to the classic rock that’s always on heavy rotation at my house.  Maybe it’s good I haven’t yet purchased my, “dream belt,” yet. 
   Writing all of this now, I’m beginning to wonder which blog I’m thinking about.  I’m starting to realize how confusing it can be to maintain a coherent thought process regarding two separate topics on a weekly basis.  At the same time, it seems that a relationship between both fashion and music is only natural.  The music industry is infamous for their many characters of style.  In addition, it’s not uncommon for me to look to my favorite songs for outfit inspiration before a night out on the town.  In fact, the ensemble I’m wearing in the above pictures was a result of about five days of listening to 70's Cher.  Wait…so maybe I haven’t actually lost interest in my fashion blog.  Maybe I’ve just altered my process of constructing a look.  Could it be that I’ve been concerning myself with nothing?  Perhaps my music obsession has not replaced my narcissism.  In fact, it suddenly seems highly probable that music could only enhance my interest in blogging about clothing.  Now I don’t just think of myself as a stylish individual with lots of cute things to say about nothing.  Yep, instead I think of myself as an intellectual critic with lots of cute things to wear while listening to great tunes and still saying, well…nothing.  Phew, I’m so relieved.  I was starting to think all this writing was just a waste of time. 
-r.   



Sweater:  Thrifted
Jeans:  Henry & Belle
Boots:  "Argh!"...Ugg
Purse:  Lucky Brand  
Belt:  Vintage  (Etoile "Made In Italy")  "Not quite ESCADA, but getting closer!"
Necklace:  Vintage  (Avon)
Sunglasses:  Vintage






No comments:

Post a Comment