Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lautrec?...check.















   I think I've mentioned a few times before I find myself a tad geographically challenged when it comes to cultural events.  Don't get me wrong, the Midwestern community that I reside in has definitely started to make an effort in drawing these kinds of functions.  However, unlike those lucky urban citizens that can attend fashion shows, art exhibits, or concerts any day they like, this girl has to be patient and wait for these snippets of cultural entertainment.  I like to think this fact just makes me even more motivated to attend these special events.
   An example of this was when I recently went to the traveling exhibition entitled, "Toulouse-Lautrec and His World," at the Washington Pavilion located in Sioux Falls, SD.  This amazing exhibition included around 150 of the artist's prints and sketches.  Many of the featured pieces were prints of iconic posters from the late 1800s.  Several of these posters were commissioned by the celebrities of this time in order to advertise events like recitals, plays, and even albums.   An example of this is pictured in the second to last photo of this post.  An interesting fact about this particular print was that is was stored in an attic for approximately 107 years before it was unexpectedly discovered in near perfect condition!  
   Basically, what I realized after attending this exhibit was that Toulouse-Lautrec was a pioneer graphic artist.  Many of his pieces were illustrated in order to advertise a specific person or product,  rather than an abstract idea or emotion.  Not only did I find this fact intriguing, I also was entertained by the idea that the artist himself seemed to travel in this circle of celebrities.  Upon further research of this artist's biography, I found that he played an integral role in the birth of modern printmaking, as well as the explosion of nightlife culture.  Apparently, Toulouse-Lautrec was part of the, "in crowd."  While at the exhibition I found myself daydreaming about this elite society of celebrities.  Actors, singers, writers, and artists all congregating at the same hangouts in order to, "blow off steam," or, "toot their own horns."   Oh what a spectacle it must have been, each of them vying for fame while feeding off of one another's creative eccentricities.  Yes, I wonder at those times full of so much creative genius and wish I could have been alive to experience it.  
   At the same time tragedy seems to follow creative geniuses like Toulouse-Lautrec, who died at the young age of 36 from complications due to alcoholism and syphilis.  Apparently, being a celebrity over a hundred years ago was not much different from being one today.
-r



Shirt:  CHAPS
Jeans:  GUESS
Flip Flops:  BCBGeneration  http://www.bcbgeneration.com/
Belt:  Anthropologie
Purse:  Matt & Nat  http://mattandnat.com/
Necklace:  Thrifted
Ring:  Craft fair purchase
Sunglasses:  Gas station purchase
Venue:  Washington Pavilion  https://www.washingtonpavilion.org/Online/


No comments:

Post a Comment