Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sweet Surprises













   We all know that life is full of surprises.  Unfortunately, not all surprises are welcome.  Being a person that considers herself a bit of a control freak, I am not partial to surprises.  I am fond of compartmentalizing my days into comfortable routines that include little, to no unexpected events.  Some people would define this as boring.  I think of it as stable.  I wonder what a therapist would think?
   As a result of this type of controlled atmosphere the surprises in my world are fairly small.  In fact, one could almost say, insignificant to someone not paying attention.  However, as a person who pays a lot of attention to the small details in life I tend to notice these minute surprises and get a kind of thrill from them.  An example of this happened on the day I took these photos.
   On this particular day, I decided to have a, "me," day.  I almost have to laugh when writing this because most of the days I have off work I spend as, "me," days but this one was different.  This day I decided to spend entirely with just me, instead of my typical lunch or coffee with friends or family.  Upon finishing this photo shoot, I sat outside in the beautiful weather pondering what my, "me," day would consist of.  Suddenly, it came to me!  What is my favorite extra curricular activity?  Starbucks!... no wait, the other one.  Thrifting! and I find nothing more enjoyable than trolling for treasures by myself on a lazy afternoon.  Such activities have largely allowed me to pursue my other growing passion, this style blog.  So shopping can't be that bad, can it?
   So, I was off for the afternoon with a plan that adhered to my comfortable routine but allowed me to look for small surprises.  Finally, I found one and it is pictured on the collar of my jacket in the second to last photograph of this post.  I paid $1.99 for this sweet little porcelain brooch and could not have been more pleased with it.  I think it is the perfect icing for any outfit this spring and summer.  
   For an individual as controlled as I have become, the art of thrifting provides a small and inexpensive thrill.  Every time I stumble upon a sweet surprise like this vintage brooch I remind myself that, not all surprises are scary.  Some even make your outfit look better.  Maybe next time at Starbucks I will order the tall vanilla macchiato rather than my standard vanilla latte.  Of course, I don't want to upset my barista's routine.
-r.



Jacket:  Elevenses
Jeans:  Silver Jeans
Boots:  UGG australia
Purse:  Miss Albright  http://www.anthropologie.com
Brooch:  Vintage (Avon)
Ring:  Banana Republic

No comments:

Post a Comment