Sunday, May 11, 2014

Let It Be












    For those of us employed in the horticulture industry, spring is often a stressful time.  Don't get me wrong, I love springtime.  I cannot describe the feeling of seeing the actual sun after months of short overcast days constantly filled with the promise of snow.  
   On the other hand, despite how emotionally draining it is, winter and the dreary weather conditions it presents allows those of us in industries of seasonal employment a much appreciated breather.  So while most people in the Midwest dread the months of January and February, many of us employed at landscaping companies and greenhouses see this time as a welcome vacation.  Do I dislike the unflattering shapeless parkas I am forced to wear in public in order to survive in subzero daytime temperatures?  Do I dread, even the most basic outdoor tasks, like filling my car's tank at the gas station for fear my hand may freeze to the pump?  Do I loathe the never ending howl of the winter winds when I am curled up in bed trying to get some peaceful sleep?  My answer to all of these questions is of course, yes.  However, in the winter a person employed in the horticulture industry is able to go somewhere, other than work, in the daytime.  In the winter, not only can this person have the free time to spend anywhere they like, they can fill their gas tank with the notion that they can make plans to go yet, somewhere else of their own choosing.  Finally, during the brutally frozen nights of January, someone employed in the horticulture industry can go to bed being annoyed by the disturbing sounds of the howling wind, but consoled by the fact that they probably can stay comfortably under their blankets until late the next morning.  Yes, nothing says vacation to a greenhouse employee like winter in the Midwest.
   Alas, those lazy days are long gone and not only people, but plants, have emerged from a particularly heavy slumber.  I have to admit, I am excited to get back into a routine at work.  I always look forward to spring and the beauty that returns with it.  I am excited to see the familiar faces of enthusiastic gardeners and friends.  This enthusiasm is contagious and with it comes the frenzied masses looking for a colorful beginning to their vacation season.  So, while a small piece of me mourns the passing of my own vacation, I am ready to help others begin theirs'.  In answer to all the stresses that assisting an exuberant public can bring I say, "Let It Be."  I even have the bracelet to remind me.
-r.



Jacket:  Lux
Skirt:  Thrifted
Boots:  UGG australia
Purse:  Isabella Fiore  http://www.isabellafiore.com/ 
Belt:  Vintage
Sunglasses:  Vintage  https://www.facebook.com/shopelofson


No comments:

Post a Comment