Saturday, August 11, 2018

Too Much?












   Writing this now, I can’t help but ask myself the utmost important question, “How many times is too many for a person to watch the movie, “Twister?”  This might seem like an odd thought.  However, I have to admit it is not the first occasion I’ve posed this inquiry.  In fact, I seem to ask this question every six months,   Of course, this happens to be how often I find this gem of 90’s, “Meh,” cinema playing on cable. 
   Despite how unremarkable others may find this picture, it was an automatic classic in my household.  As a result, I can’t help but at least pause each time I come across the surprisingly soothing images of Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton careening across the stormy countryside.  If anything, I can always use the excuse that I’m simply watching to pay homage to the late Paxton, who I still can’t fathom is gone.  He was just that normal seeming guy who showed up in almost every film you watched back then.  Of course, shockingly, Philip Seymour Hoffman was also in the movie, “Twister.”  There was absolutely nothing normal about his awesome talent so don’t even get me started on what a shame his passing was.  Sigh…it occurs to me now that while the movie, “Twister,” still signifies a staple film of my youth, it now also has the slight stench of grief attached to it.  Man, the passage of time can really suck! 
   Okay, before this gets too morose…and believe me it already has since I’ve devoted this entire post to a movie that honestly isn’t that good…I would like to try to segue back to the topic of fashion.  Well actually, more like the topic of hoarding, but same diff…right?  While I sit here indulging in yet another night of, “Twister,” I can’t help but feel pangs of guilt regarding other habits I have.  For instance, I recently got paid and the first thing I thought was, “Yes! I can scoop up that Missoni headband I’ve been eyeing!”  You may be thinking…if you’re still reading this…that, “Twister,” thing got a tiny tired…, “What’s wrong with that?  You saved up and bought something you’ve been legitimately wanting.”  Except I’m ashamed to admit this will not be my first Missoni headband purchase.  In fact, it won’t be my second…or even my third…I think it’s fair to say, “Rayna has a new addiction.”
   Like any good addict, I find myself wondering, “How many is too many?”  Is there a point where my collection just becomes a gross display of indulgence…especially since I’m so excited about these headwraps that I can’t quite get the courage to wear them in public yet. It’s always… “Nope, I look like shit today.  I can't do it justice!”  After about the twentieth purchase…and God help me if I get that many…won’t this destined wardrobe staple simply go the way of, “Twister,” and ultimately make me sad.  When is shopping not fun anymore, and what will I do in place of it?
   Well, I guess I’ll have to cross that bridge when I come to it!  I assume it might happen about the same time that I get sick of seeing Helen Hunt get sucked up in a tornado.  In the meantime, I’ll have plenty of headwraps and hats…like the one I’m wearing in the above images…to keep my hair from getting windblown.
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment