Sunday, August 19, 2018

BEST SUMMER EVER?












   Well, the end of summer is approaching fast and I really feel like I've done nothing.  I was discussing this with my significant other and we both agreed these last few months have been a bust.  Basically, our jobs have totally gotten in the way.
   Considering I work in childcare, it's impossible not to be confronted daily with the passing of what is usually my most anticipated season.  Constantly the kids are buzzing about getting new school supplies, meeting this year’s teachers, and seeing fond friends again.  I can’t help but admit there’s a certain electricity in the air.  Unfortunately, for those of us decidedly done with our studies, it’s hard to get pumped about the inevitable arrival of winter.
   Of course, in the meantime, I can look forward to fall.  For me, this is a time of comfy vintage sweaters, trips to the apple orchard... in pursuit of those freaking amazing turnovers, kick ass fall clothing catalogs...to pour over at the coffee house, and most importantly, the anticipation of Halloween!  Honestly, this holiday alone if enough for me to get over my end of summer slump.  There’s just something magical about October…and the thrift store, "costume rack," that caters to it.
   At the same time, I can’t help but be remorseful of the passing of August.  It wasn’t so long ago that I remember stating, “This is going to be THE BEST SUMMER EVER!!!”  To be perfectly honest there's been nothing really wrong with these last few months.  In fact, I’d be willing to state as far as my blog is concerned, I’ve come up with some of my best outfits yet.  Lately, I can’t help but feel like I’ve really been dressing like myself.  I'm not all over the place with my clothes.  In addition, it was this summer that I constructed my first real style plan and actually stuck to it.  Yes, the hot mess you see gracing the images of this blog post was all planned.  Scary.
   Surprisingly I almost think that when I stopped coloring my hair it contributed to these feelings of self-awareness.  I hadn’t seen my natural color in so long it’s kind of been nice to be reintroduced to the real me.  Of course, now that we’ve met again I’m counting down the days until I can finally decide to commit to the color of my new personality. 
   A part of me wants to state that I believe this will be, "THE BEST FALL EVER!!!.”  However, if this last season taught me anything it’s that you can’t control fate by grand proclamations.  Perhaps if I'd started the summer by shouting, “MOST MEH SUMMER EVER!!!,” I would have fooled the God’s into throwing me a bone.  Instead, I think my future approach will be to try to appreciate what I’ve got…which is a closet full of fantastic hippie headbands…which ironically, is the outcome of my most, "meh," summer ever.  Huh…oh, screw it…I can’t wait!  It’s going to be, "THE BEST FALL EVER!!!,”she says while holding a troll doll, crossing her fingers, and quickly mumbling, “Toi, Toi, Toi,” afterwards.
-r. 

No comments:

Post a Comment