Sunday, January 7, 2018

Time Travel and Nonsense













   Yet again, I think it’s fairly obvious that I took these pictures quite some time ago.  Yes...it was one of those mild and carefree Fall days spent wearing only a belted cardigan.  As I sit here this January evening, nearly cocooned in wool, I look at these images and think, “You crazy nudist hippie!  I can’t believe there was a time I went coatless!"  
   Admittedly, like every good storyteller, I'm prone to exaggeration.  For example, today it was a balmy 30 degrees.  Suddenly I found myself confronted with the task of actually trying to style an outfit rather than just coordinating my coat with a hat.  Strangely enough, the possibility of actually removing my overcoat in public now seems almost daunting.  I haven’t done it in so long it seems unladylike.  
   While I was finally warm enough today to shed my, “outer skin,” I have to admit I slacked big on the actual styling of my ensemble.  If there’s one good thing to be said about winter on the Plains it’s that there is no better excuse to wear one’s comfy clothes.  Like I mentioned earlier, slap on your best jazzy hat paired with your favorite vintage coat and you’re golden.  In addition, I also believe that there is no, “Meh,” looking day that the right lipstick can’t perk up.  Think of this as the old Courtney Love philosophy.  “Yes my dress might look like I dug it out of a dumpster behind a Catholic girl’s school, but look at my lipstick!  You’ll remember me.” 
   Speaking of my beloved Courtney…and I kid not…I loved her so much in college that I hunted down a cheap thrift store star necklace simply because I saw her wearing one in multiple pictures…do I even have to mention that I still wear it?...  Anyway, speaking of Courtney brings me to my actual activities today where I was delighted to find myself hunting for vinyl records with a good friend.  While I was not wearing my, "Courtney necklace," I did find myself sporting some fairly garish lipstick that I believe she would have mightily approved.  In any case, the grunge goddess must have been with us considering the bounty of good albums we both ended up scoring.  Even though my friend has assured me she is working on perfecting our ability to time travel, I was so happy to find this treasure trove of tunes.  Until she unlocks the key to our way back to 1983 I will be content in knowing I can now stand in the middle of my record room like, “Quantum Leap’s,” Scott Bakula with a space heater dramatically blasting up at my hair while listening to the Madness album, “One Step Beyond,” and I will be in 1979…or a mental institution if someone walks in on me doing this.
   In actuality, I’m aware of the unfortunate fact that today the year is 2018.  I know that no matter how many old records I play, no matter how many vintage sweaters I belt, no matter how much, "Courtney makeup," I apply it will still be 2018.  Maybe...just maybe...if my friend could simply figure out how to return to the days of no coats I would finally be happy.
-r.





No comments:

Post a Comment