Saturday, January 27, 2018

"Lady In...Yellow?"












   I’m elated to report that today I actually found myself on an outing with…wait for it…A FRIEND!!!  It’s true!  It’s true!  I finally went out on the town with another person.  Granted my version of going, "out on the town," is spending the afternoon loitering at a coffee joint, but I like to think we did it up right.  I mean, it’s not often that I veer off my rigid, “eggs and cinnamon toast,” Saturday lunch routine.  I have to admit I felt pretty bad-ass after gobbling down a huge turkey, bacon, avocado wrap and slamming a giant tap water.  Yes, this is, “living it up,” in my late thirties. 
   …and I’m thrilled.  I had an absolutely delightful afternoon with a wonderful person. I was so thankful to get some much needed friend time.  In fact, I’m very pleased every time I’m able to meet up with my friends.  Apparently, being a, “serious adult,” means these opportunities are often scarce.  Everyone is busy working, taking care of their children or pets, spending time with significant others, or…"Erm"…taking hundreds of glamour shots.  You know, grown up stuff.  There simply isn’t enough time in the day to get everything done.
   For instance, after I finish this post I need to forage for something edible for dinner.  Crap…we're out of Totino's pizzas.  In addition, I have to spend some quality time with my fuzzy friends…or there will be consequences.  Reminder to self...don’t piss off your cats.  Lastly, I'm dying to wrap up the last season of, “Longmire,” on Netflix.  Yes, I said, “Longmire.”  I admit it.  I adore anything remotely related to the Western genre.  Again, I’m a 38 year old woman living in the Midwest.  This is only natural.  Okay, maybe my, “Bonanza,” obsession is a little odd, but that’s a whole separate blog post.
   Anyway, it was a true luxury to get all dressed up today to be one of the, “ladies who lunch.”  During this outing I found myself going on and on about…who the heck knows?  I sure don’t.  I think I get so excited when I socialize with people that I just mindlessly babble.  However at one point I did become lucid enough to hear myself utter the sentences, “I’m really into the color yellow lately!  It’s so weird because I’ve never really liked this color before.  I think it’s because I’ve always thought it to be very girly and you know…I’m like more tough than that.  I like black, and blue, and gray….”  By this point even I was getting bored of my commentary.  God bless my friend and her undying patience.  Like I mentioned earlier, I get so starved for peer interaction I turn into a total idiot. 
   While I’m regretting not having something more interesting to contribute to the conversation than my new favorite color, I will state that I'm still surprised at this new found fondness for yellow.  It’s just never been my thing.  Now, before this ridiculous topic takes over my post I think I should try to relate it to the above pictures.  The reason I was reflecting on this earlier conversation is because sitting here now, looking at these images, I simply don’t see a lady who wears yellow.  Black…yes.  Gray…great.  Red…I’m a Leo, so it’s kind of a given…but yellow?  Who is this woman I’ve become?
   All I can reason is that the person in the pictures above is the solitary type.  The kind of individual who hits the coffee shop solo and then gets down to business at the public library quietly reading her latest thriller.  However, the lady who came out today…well…she still hits the coffee shop…some habits will never die…but, she’s got company.  She’s laughing and blathering on about random crap in her notoriously loud voice.  Now this is a woman who likes yellow.  Huh…I wonder if the woman who likes purple drinks coffee?
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment