Sunday, December 17, 2017

WWLarsD













   Sometimes composing a blog post can be quite challenging.  For instance, while driving back from coffee this evening I had an entire rant planned in my head.  However the instant I was about to record my rigmarole some other ridiculous thing happened.  Now I can’t seem to focus on what my original idea was. 
   What I do know is I just took my dog out for her last potty break of the night and the instant we set foot outside I heard the most drawn out, haunting howl that has ever been uttered.  Of course, this was followed by a series of frenzied yips that literally made the hair on my head feel electric.  Unfortunately, over the years this is a sound that I’ve become quite accustomed to.  It is a sound many individuals living on the rural plains know all too well.  Yes, it's this particular sound that immediately makes me look at my dear old dog and yell, “Cheese it girl!  Head for the door!” 
   Sadly, her elderly ears don't seem to have the same reaction to the noises made by a pack of undoubtedly hungry coyotes.  Instead she nonchalantly continues en route to her favorite bathroom destination in the yard…the darkest part of the yard…the part that is the hardest hustle to the safety of the back door.  Note to self…never again take the dog out without her leash at night.  Remember the time you had to crawl under that electric fence while wearing pajamas in order to retrieve her...simply because she wanted to take a stroll...under a fence…during the daytime…in front of a bunch of construction dudes…who, by the way, didn’t offer to help you, but instead chose to stare.  Additional note to self…if you have maintenance guys of any kind working on your property and you stumble outside in the morning in order to take the dog out remember to put her leash on…also, change out of your jammies…you may have to crawl around on the ground and this is just awkward in pajamas. 
   Anyway, I’m glad to report I did finally coerce my furry companion to come inside tonight.  Honestly, it didn’t take that long.  Eventually my adorable, but often doddering doggy, picked up on the fast approaching yowls of the yard.  
   While all of the experienced, “country folk,” around here continually assure me that coyotes will not approach a human I can’t help but feel nervous about being in the yard after dark at this time of year.  Plus, I’m not so sure these people are totally correct since I did once see a straggly lone ranger walking up and down our driveway during the daylight.  Again, I was assured that this was an isolated incident and there was obviously something abnormal about this specific animal.  However, wouldn’t it be my luck to have one maim me while I was taking glamour shots in the back forty?
   Whew!...well, now that I’m done freaking out about that, I want to mention again that this was not initially what I was going to discuss.  Originally I wanted to talk about was how in love I am with the fanny pack I’m wearing in the above pictures!  I recently picked it up at a local vintage store and I have to say it’s currently one of my favorite bags.  I can’t believe how great it is to have both hands free while tooling around town.  In addition, this piece is smaller than most of my other purses so it forces me to downsize all of the garbage I habitually carry around.  Of course, tonight was the real triumph when I quickly realized I was still able to perform one hell of a Metallica inspired air drum solo while wearing my fanny pack.  I’m actually thinking of making this a mandatory test for all of the handbags I purchase in the future.  Basically, I’ll ask myself, “Huh, is this a Lars Ulrich approved bag?”  The other thing I can now honestly state is, fanny packs are great for when one is in a hurry.  For example, pretend it’s night time and you yell, “Cheese it!” at your dog.  You both take off running towards the house and you immediately find yourself eternally grateful for free hands and the ability to pump those arms! 
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment