Sunday, December 10, 2017

"A Spoonful Of...Say What?!"













   Over the years people have compared my likeness to many other individuals.  I've always found this odd considering I don’t think I’ve ever once said to someone, “Hey, you look just like…”  Perhaps I’m simply not observant enough to link people to their doppelgangers.  Admittedly I’m not always the most astute individual.  Okay, so there was that one dude in college that me and my friend always referred to as Duran Duran…but please…that hair?…it was a no-brainer.  
   Maybe the other reason I don’t mention to people who they remind me of is simply due to the fact that I fear it may offend them.  I remember once, in my early twenties, I was at a bar in Minneapolis and this table full of people…equally as young and dumb as I was at the time…was staring me down.  Despite the fact that I had drank myself into a state of feeling pretty good I did notice the attention and was starting to feel rather intimidated by it.  After a while the obvious, “ring leader,” of this merry band of hipsters approached me and demanded to know if I was an actress.  I answered, “No,” and immediately found myself smiling from ear to ear.  She explained to me that her table had been arguing about which independent film starlet they thought I was.  She continued by stating that the general consensus was that none of them could identify my name, however they were all certain they had seen the films I had been in.  Of course at the time I was thrilled.  “Mwah?,” An indie film star?  In my dreams!"  I immediately started having visions of people mistaking me for goddesses like Jennifer Connelly and Mena Suvari.  Of course this only lasted until the, "friendly hipster," interjected … “Well, the only thing our table could agree on was the fact that every movie you've made you played a strung out druggie on the brink of death.”  Okay, this may not have been the exact words that came out of her mouth, but it was something quite similar.  “Bubble popped,” I thought as I came back to reality and the idea that I probably resembled an addict more than a Hollywood movie star. 
   Of course, it’s always nice to get attention, even if it’s not specifically the kind you had in mind.  As I previously mentioned, over the years I’ve had many people compare my appearance to celebrities.  I’m not sure if this is something people do out of honesty, or whether they're seeking my approval.  For instance a few of the women I’ve often been compared to include:  Liv Tyler, Heather Nova, Amanda Peet, Bryce Dallas Howard, and Sandra Bullock…yes, I said Sandra Bullock.  Can you believe I’ve had multiple men tell me I resemble this woman?  It’s insane and I can’t quit obsessing over it.  I mean, the others ladies I can at least understand a hint of what they were seeing….Bryce Dallas Howard…yeah the hair style…I get it.  Amanda Peet…yes, from certain angles I can definitely understand.  However, I LOOK NOTHING LIKE SANDRA BULLOCK!!!  Honestly, is Sandra Bullock simply the go to, “hottie,” that middle aged men choose in order to hit on women?  It boggles my mind. 
   The reason I decided to write about this now is simply because today I can add a new name to my repertoire.  As I was buying a bottle of water at the Get-N-Go I had a cashier turn to me and state, “Oh my God, you remind me so much of Mary Poppins!!!”  “Uh…what?,” I answered.  She went on to insist that, “I looked just like Mary Poppins and she absolutely loved that movie as a child.”  She continued by incredulously asking me, “You’ve never been told this before?”  “Nope, that’s a new one,” I said and left totally perplexed.  “My God, no wonder the kids at work love it so much when I belt out, “A Spoonful Of Sugar.”  Honestly, this is something I sing with them when I’m feeling stupid.  I guess it’s true that everyone likes Julie Andrews.  In addition, I’m sure when you first set eyes on this blog post you thought, “Man, give that lady an umbrella and watch her fly!”
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment