Sunday, March 26, 2017

My Claws!













   I’d like to start this post by stating these pictures were taken a few weeks back when there was substantial snow on the ground.  While the current weather is still sweater-worthy, I’m happy to report the snow has now been replaced with mud.  Yes, I’m happy to see mud…however my shoes are not.  Of course I’ll save that little jewel of a rant for a whole separate blog post. 
   I titled this story, “My Claws!,” due to a seriously deep topic that’s been on my mind.  Yep, it's happened people.  I've become obsessed with my fingernails.  Now I’ve always been privy to painting my nails.  In fact, it’s something that I do weekly as a type of mental therapy…that, and I’m also seriously OCD and can’t stand to have chipped nails or any deviation in my routine.  As a result of this neurosis, I’ve always had fairly decent looking fingernails.  Of course, up until last year I'd been working in the horticulture industry.  Any female in this field can attest to the cosmetic uphill battle that transpires from working with terrain.  Basically, it’s virtually impossible to have long nails when constantly digging in the dirt.  Not only is it unsanitary, but it’s unsightly when every other finger has a broken ragged edge.  Trust me, gardeners are not hand models. 
   However, as we all know I left my job of ten years to pursue a new direction.  While I expected many changes I certainly didn’t consider a physical change would occur.  Yet it did and while I understand it’s only fingernails I feel like a whole new woman!  For instance, a few weeks back I went out for coffee with a close girlfriend.  As we were talking she interrupted me by stating, “I never thought I’d see that!  I didn’t think you could grow those!”  She was referring to the length of my fingernails.  All of the sudden I felt exposed.  It was as if the cat was finally out of the bag.  Someone had finally realized I was a whole new woman.  “I know, it’s weird isn’t it,” I replied trying to mask by my, “new identity.”
   The day I took these photographs I was just starting to get some length on my nails.  I kept looking at them with admiration, which I think was captured in these pictures.  Honestly, these are some of the best images I’ve taken in quite some time…despite the fact that the wind was ridiculous.  I'm super bummed the last picture came out blurry.  I truly believe it would have been a humdinger.  Who would’ve guessed that the length of my fingernails could inspire such confidence…such pride…such downright narcissism.
   Due to these new found feelings of fortitude I’ve noticed a change in myself.  I think things like, “I’m the lady with nice long fingernails.  I can go to that Mary Kay party!  Look at those hands.  That’s a woman whose going somewhere.  I can voice my opinion at work!  Do you see how that nail polish matches my outfit perfectly?  I can attend that baby shower at the country club!”  Honestly, it’s amazing what a slight physical change can do to one’s psyche.  Of course, in the words of the great George Harrison, “All things must pass”…yes, I just committed blasphemy by quoting an absolutely beautiful song during an essay about something so stupid.  
   Just a few days ago one of the children at work decided it would be entertaining to try to juggle rocks.  While I was impressed by her determination I ultimately decided it was not a good idea to allow a five year old to throw rocks…even in the pursuit of learning a trade in the circus field.  As I was literally wrestling them from her grasp…remember I said she was determined…one of my nails got snagged on a rock and it ripped short.  The look on my face must have been horrific since even the preoccupied child exclaimed, “Oh no!  Your fingernail!”   The very next day my OCD mind made the agonizing decision to cut all of my nails short in order to keep things consistent.  “I’m now back to being the woman with short fingernails," I think.  “Maybe I could learn that rock juggling thing.”
-r.



Sweater:  Vintage
Shirt:  Chaps 
Vest:  Thrifted
Jeans:  True Religion
Purse:  Sonia Rykiel
Necklace:  Thrifted
Bracelet:  Thrifted
Sunglasses:  Roberto Cavalli

No comments:

Post a Comment