Sunday, December 4, 2016

Pre Paint Job













   I always find it exciting to publish a post that features a setting other than my backyard.  Being an individual who doesn’t travel much can really take a toll on the uniqueness of one's photography.  Yes, I’m aware that I don’t have to leave town in order to get a different backdrop for glamour shots.  However setting up the old tripod in a, "gasp"... different location qualifies as unfamiliar territory to me.  I count this is as travel.  Therefore, a reader can safely bet on seeing many more pictures of this homebody standing in front of her all too familiar favorite barn door.  I’ve actually considered changing the name of this blog to something relating to that door since the majority of my best photographs are taken in front of it.  Of course, a title of this sort would undoubtedly include the word, “barn,” in its’ name and we all know how I feel about that word in relation to fashion.  Let’s not dredge up the infamous Dressbarn rant again.
   I guess the main reason I haven’t changed the title of my blog is simply that I hope to eventually catch the wanderlust bug and be inspired to photograph myself in more exciting locations…like Fargo.  Yes, I wrote Fargo.  Wait, we weren’t all thinking of North Dakota as the ideal exotic location?  Huh…some people.
   Despite what the general public may think, Fargo proved to be the perfect background for the vintage orange blazer I’m wearing in the photographs above.  Of course, one just needed to know where to look.  It was this blogger’s good fortune to have a brother who knew of the absolute ideal alley to compliment such a bright piece of clothing.  In fact, this urban jewel is right around the corner from his apartment.  As a result, I anticipate a return to this spot in future blog posts.  I simply can’t let walls like these go to waste.
   Ironically I almost feel like I did, “waste,” this artistic opportunity due to the way I look in some of these photographs.  To explain, on this particular occasion I was unable to wear my usual makeup due to the fact that I had a pretty painful sore on the side of my mouth that I didn't want to get infected.  Totally grody, I know.  Exactly the opposite words one wants to hear from a, “fashion expert.”  However, I’m not a fashion expert.  I’m a lady who often likes to stay home and play dress up in order to take, “pretty,” pictures of herself.  Luckily, it can be hard to see mutations through a camera lens.  Keep in mind this doesn't mean they’re not there!
   Anyway, on this particular afternoon my mutated face and I were introduced to a passageway that looked like the perfect setting for a monster like me.  My brother took multiple pictures and while I loved the way the background looked I was dismayed at how, “un-me,” I appeared in them.  On second thought, I may have been upset by how VERY me I looked.  Without my regular made up mask my appearance was very bland compared to it's surroundings.  "I look like I just rolled out of bed!," I thought.  I now like to refer to these images as pre-paint job.   Think of my face as the plain wall in the first photograph of this post.  Isn’t it amazing what a little paint can do for an outfit?…that and a little Prada.  I’m now totally convinced there’s no physical anomaly that a pair of gaudy designer sunglasses can’t fix.
-r.



Blazer:  Vintage
Jeans:  Henry & Belle
Boots:  Dr. Martens
Purse:  Matt & Nat
Necklace:  Thrifted
Sunglasses:  Prada

No comments:

Post a Comment