Sunday, December 11, 2016

"It's all about the MONEY!!!"













   Lately the topic of money has been on my mind.  I believe in December it’s pretty common for most individuals to feel the burden of finances.  Not only is one expected to keep up with their everyday expenses, but they’re obligated to tack on everything that comes with the holidays.  The, "season of giving," should probably be referred to as, "the season of giving one’s ass away." 
   Like many people, I actually enjoy giving presents.  Christmas is the one time of year this privileged princess finally focuses on contributing to others. As you may suspect, I'm an individual who has absolutely no problem spoiling herself.  If I see something I really want one can bet I’m eventually going to get it. However lately I’ve been unable to indulge in my usual frivolous spending.  Between buying Christmas gifts and paying for about a hundred cats to get spayed and neutered…oh yeah, didn’t I mention that I’m now officially the crazy cat lady?  I always knew this would happen.  I just didn’t realize it would come to fruition in my thirties.  However the cats chose me.  Only a monster would send away hungry orphan kittens.  Besides, who says five cats are too many? 
   Anyway, back to the topic at hand, between all the extra expenses I haven’t been able to go hog wild on the holiday catalogs.  I seriously might not be able to use my annual coveted Sunglasses Hut coupon on the pair of Fendi shades I’ve been eyeing for months.  I'm embarrassed to admit I've honestly been upset about it.  I guess I’ve been feeling like the world has somehow robbed me of something I was owed.  Doesn’t God understand how important designer eye wear is?
   The reason I paired the above photographs with this particular post is because of the purse I’m carrying.  This bag was given to me by my extremely generous mother.  It's made by feedprojects.com and is an item that can be purchased in order to contribute to a charity that helps end child hunger around the world.  This specific purse was not cheap and I was in awe of the fact that my mom simply gave it to me.  “I hope she doesn’t want my Fendi sunglasses when I finally get them,” my one track mind thought.
   Of course looking at these photographs of me, with the beautiful bag my mother bought in the hopes of helping children, makes me reflect on my work place.  I've mentioned before I work at a facility that provides childcare for low income individuals.  Lately, we’ve been asking many of the kids what they would like Santa to bring them for Christmas.  Many of their answers have struck me, but none have made more of an impression than that of a little boy who stated he would love to have a, “family sized bag of Takis of his very own.”  For those of you who aren’t familiar with Takis they’re a rolled up tortilla chip that is extremely spicy…like I can't eat them spicy...like my finicky stomach would explode from more than five of them spicy.  Keeping this in mind, let me repeat, a family sized bag of chips was the most awesome thing this child could ask for.  I was dumbfounded…I was ashamed…I was finally at peace with not using my Sunglasses Hut coupon.
   I guess I just wanted to write this post and state how grateful I am for all that I have.  In addition, I recognize how I’m constantly humbled by the kids that I work with and am in awe at how their wisdom and bravery can keep me grounded.  Maybe there’s hope for this spoiled brat yet.  In the meantime, I don’t see an end to the constant spending. However now I'm wondering just how many family sized bags of Takis I can get for the price of Fendi?
-r.



Skirt:  Vintage
Boots:  Thrifted
Purse:  Gift from my Mom  https://www.feedprojects.com
Belt:  Anthropologie
Necklace:  Thrifted
Sunglasses:  Dolce & Gabbana

3 comments:

  1. This is a very nice post, Rayna. I hope you could find many bags of Takis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you provide so much more to these kids than takis.I see the look in their eyes when someone listens to them,shares with them.We can't save the world,but we can make it a little more bearable.You do that.Keep on being you,designer glasses and all <3

    ReplyDelete