Sunday, November 20, 2016

Hitting a Humdinger













   During one of my frequent trips to Goodwill I scored the vintage skirt I’m wearing in the above photographs.  Honestly, I think this piece was destined to be mine.  I absolutely adore paisley prints and this color combination has to be one of my favorites.  Of course, keeping with classic Rayna behavior, I’ve been hording this gem in my closet for over a year without once letting it see the light of day.  This is a BAD habit of mine.  I keep the best pieces in my wardrobe private.  I’ve analyzed this trait multiple times and still don't fully understand my actions.  Am I afraid to ruin these items by using them?  Am I waiting for the absolute perfect occasion to, "debut," them?  Do I feel like I’m not worthy to possess them?  Maybe I have some type of pirate-like hidden treasure obsession.  Whatever the reason for my neurosis might be, I've recently decided to combat it.  What good is having all these beautiful things if nobody ever gets to see them?
   The day I took these photographs I fully embraced the last statement.  Not only did I finally wear my perfect paisley skirt, I also decided to style it with a pair of Dr. Martens boots that I’ve shamefully neglected for more time that I’d like to admit.  Again, why have I not been wearing these amazing shoes?  I truly believe it has something to do with my quest for the pristine.  The irony here is the more beat up Dr. Martens get, the more choice they become.  It’s called character and it's a quality that improves most things in life.
   I guess I could relate that idea to my own appearance as well.  Lately, I’ve started to feel kind of old.  I find myself looking around and trying to guess the ages of other individuals.  I think things like, “I’ve got to be older…Just ask how old she is…Seriously look at those shoes, she may be older than me….Oh crap, shouldn’t have asked…My God, I could be her mother!”  I think my recent obsession with age has something to do with the fact that I’m definitely part of the older demographic at my current workplace.  Colleagues often tell me they're in their early twenties and I’m like, “When did I become the old one?” 
   Of course it didn’t help that recently one of the children at our facility remarked that the sweater I was wearing made my hands appear really wrinkly.  Granted, it was an embroidered, “granny type,” garment that was in question.  Perhaps that escalated the crypt keeper appearance of my claws.  I guess what it comes down to is no matter how much I try to preserve my appearance my, “character,” is going to show.  I can’t freeze time in an attempt to stay pristine. 
   As a result of this revelation, I’ve decided to start actually enjoying the secret treasures in my closet.  I figure they’re never going to look better on me than they do now.  This statement brings me to the final point of this blog post.  Sometimes glamour shots don’t go so good.  There have been several occasions when I've taken pictures and thought, “Wow, give it up girl.”  I think these moments simply make me more desperate to get the perfect photographs in order to reassure this, “old lady,” that she’s still got it.  After looking at the pictures above, my matured mitts don’t bother me as much.  I think, “Yeah, this lady’s still got it and she’s deserves to flaunt it with the finest luxuries she can afford.”  In this blogger's opinion, that idea goes for any woman reading this post.  I highly recommend dressing up in your favorite things and taking hundreds of pictures of yourself until you get the ones that remind you of just how fabulous you are…despite your hag hands.  Also, keep in mind glove season is upon us and Ralph Lauren has some serious beauties to offer.  Hopefully they will fit over this treasure hunting pirate’s hook.
-r.



Skirt:  Vintage
Boots:  Dr. Martens
Belt:  Anthropologie
Purse:  Matt & Nat
Bracelets:  Thrifted


No comments:

Post a Comment