Sunday, November 13, 2016

Ade Due Damballa...Give Me The Power, I Beg Of You













   As usual the title of this post has little to do with the fashion aspect of my blog.  In fact, the only connection between it and the outfit I’m wearing is that I took these pictures around Halloween while I was binge watching horror movies.  The irony here is it’s now November and, considering our country’s political climate, I find Chucky’s voodoo chant even more appropriate for the times.  It’s not unlikely that in the future we will find those in power reciting these words in the hopes of possessing other humans to carry out their unseemly deeds.  Actually writing this now, I’m not so sure that’s not what’s already happened.  Perhaps on Election Day the people of the United States were under the ancient supernatural, “spell,” of one individual’s aggressive rhetoric.  Please forgive me.  I know our country’s situation at this time is not something to take lightly.  However, I have to joke in order to keep my feelings of panic at bay.
   I can hear the sighs of many individuals now.  “Another drama queen…another sore loser…why can’t we all just come together and love one another?”  I’ve read all of these statements on my Facebook feed.  However, let’s not kid ourselves.  There’s not a lot of love in the air right now.  Do I believe that our nation’s next president is an intentional hatemonger?  No, I don’t.  However, I do believe he has made enough careless statements regarding race, gender, and sexual orientation to enable those in our country with serious prejudices.  In my opinion Trump is a rabble-rouser, and a darn good one at that.  Specifically it's his supporters with extreme viewpoints that frighten me the most.  Not only is it disturbing that in the year 2016 there are so many of them, but also that they feel there is a political leader who will provide a platform for their archaic worldview.  Basically, when the KKK is inspired to have a parade in honor of our next President there is a problem. 
   Unfortunately, I believe many well-meaning individuals in this country have resigned to the idea that, “Well, it’s not my problem.”  Honestly, this apathetic outlook is quite alluring.  Even this blogger will shamefully admit to a few moments of, “Bah, all these politicians are the same anyway.”  Considering my position in life, this statement may be true.  I am a Midwestern, white, American citizen who lives a financially privileged lifestyle due to the incredible hard work of, “my man.”  When one really considers it my reality is the type of 1950’s lifestyle that radical conservatives would probably approve of…often endorse…are desperate to protect.  So why am I so distressed at the outcome of this election? I blame it on two words, empathy and compassion.  It’s this blogger’s opinion that one can endorse these values while still maintaining a comfortable lifestyle, (full of frivolous spending and ridiculous glamour shots.)  In other words, the nice guy does not always have to finish last…except this time we did…and it hurt.
   Despite the fact that there are countless reasons I could define as to why I am so dismayed, I will use one story as my final explanation.  Currently I work at a facility that provides childcare for low income families.  Many of the kids that I interact with are the children of immigrants.  The day after the election my workplace was an extremely tense environment.  Several kids were visibly upset.  In fact, one child came up to me in tears stating, “Donald Trump was going to make her father go away.”  I could see the anxiety and pain in her eyes.  I put on a brave face for her and grabbed her hand stating, “The President is only one person and needs the approval of many others in order to get things done.”  What my broken heart could not reveal to this terrified little girl was that this is precisely what she should be afraid of. 
-r.



Blazer:  Thrifted
Dress:  Vintage  (Handmade)
Belt:  Etoile    
Boots:  Vintage
Purse:  Wilson’s Leather
Necklace:  Zandbroz Variety Fargo
Sunglasses:  Vintage

1 comment:

  1. Excellent comment on our current times. Frightening children does not bode well for any of us.

    ReplyDelete