Sunday, October 25, 2015

Four Years, For Shame!













   I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to fashion.  Okay I'll confess, maybe I've been known to hoard other things as well.  Being October, it's hard for me not to reminisce about trick or treating as a child.  I remember hauling home giant bags of boxed Nerds, Dum-Dum suckers, and even a few popcorn balls.  Remember people, it was the 80's.  Horror stories about unwrapped treats were still considered urban legend back then.  Anyway, the best part about Halloween for an admittedly OCD kid was returning home to SORT the candy.  Keep in mind I specified sort the candy, not eat it.  I remember sitting in my parents living room with my brother, both of us elated with the giant piles of, "loot," that lay before us.  Zeb would immediately begin to jam as many goodies down his gullet before our Mom could pull the plug on what would certainly turn into a night of intense intestinal distress.  I, on the other hand, would refuse to eat a single piece of my earnings.  Instead, I would divide my candy into categories that made sense to me. For instance, it always began with a good candy pile and a crap candy pile.  The good candy pile would revolve around such items as, Reese's Pieces, Rolos and gasp... be still my beating heart, if I was lucky enough, a Caramello or two.  The crap candy pile was comprised of Root Beer Barrels, black licorice, and absolutely anything with a wax paper wrapper.  After determining these two groups, my childhood self would then subdivide the categories into smaller piles determined by things like size or color of packaging.  Interestingly enough, the adult me still enjoys categorizing things.   I find this especially apparent when entering my strictly color coded closet.  I guess I've just always liked my, "treats," organized. 
   As a child I took great pleasure in stockpiling objects that had value to me. However, now that I'm an adult I acknowledge the problem with this type of behavior.  Looking back, I realize how much of that treasured Halloween candy actually went rotten and got thrown away.  I was just too busy sorting to actually eat it.  The really crazy thing is I'm just not that into candy!  I think I enjoyed the concept of having a precious collection way more than the actual food itself.  Except the Caramellos.  God bless Cadbury for those little buggers.  
   Now that I'm an adult I see some disturbing similarities to that candy hoarding kid of the 80's.  In the pictures above I'm wearing a pair of sandals I was all, "hot and bothered," to buy while on a trip to Duluth, MN.  Upon seeing these beauties I was convinced that my life would not be complete unless I had a pair of lime green platforms.  I mean come on, the green section of my shoe collection was seriously lacking!  At the time, there was no guilt about spontaneously spending on an item I felt I couldn't live without. However lets jump forward to four years later when I took these photographs wearing my precious sandals FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME!...terrible, I know.
   In closing, writing this blog post has made me consider many things.  Even though I've changed immensely since I was that little girl trick or treating in cardboard wings, I still retain some of my old habits.  I guess I'm thankful that shoes, unlike candy, have an extended expiration date. Heck, with the way the fashion industry works some of my amassed items will probably be considered valuable vintage by the time I finally get around to wearing them.  Also, should the zombie apocalypse hit on Halloween, be advised that this lady knows where one can get plenty of fantastic looking size 8.5's, and enough candy to give the ultimate sugar rush in order to run in them.
-r.




T-Shirt:  Obey
Jeans:  Thrifted  (Rustler)
Sandals:  Tsubo
Purse:  Marc Jacobs
Necklace:  Dead Things  https://www.facebook.com/objetsdelamort
Bracelet:  Thrifted
Sunglasses:  Kate Spade
Ramones/ Pet Sematary Video:  (Because it's almost Halloween and I love this song.)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3J0iwwsq-w



*  All pictures taken by Clark.


No comments:

Post a Comment