Sunday, December 21, 2014

Silver and Gold











   I bet you thought the title of this post was a nod to the Burl Ives Christmas song!  Actually, that was not the tune I was going for.  However, it's a happy coincidence this post will be published around the a-fore mentioned holiday.  The title, Silver and Gold, is really a tribute to a song I learned during my years as a girl scout.  Yep, it's a reference to a little jingle that goes like this..."Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver, and the other, gold."  Sound familiar to anyone?  Anyone?, huh, well it sure made an impression on me.
   It's strange what I find myself remembering.  For example, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of my fourth grade teacher.  Yet, I remember almost every lyric to my girl scout songs.  I have no recollection of my former address from ten years ago.  However, I can recall the exact shirt I was wearing the time I had my first real kiss.  What do these selected memories say about me?  Well, how much time do you have?
   The reason the song, "Make New Friends," has been on my mind lately is because that's exactly what I have been doing and it's kind of a big deal for me.  Actually, I think it's a big deal for anyone over the age of thirty, considering at this age most of us are too consumed by other obligations such as career, family, and of course blogging to make friends.  Taking into account how busy life can get for the average adult, where is one supposed to find the time to make new friends?
   Recently, I went to a gathering to celebrate the birthday of a fairly new friend.  The above outfit was what I wore to the event.  As I was getting ready, I found myself feeling giddy at the prospect of a new, "real," friendship.  At one point, I wondered what the big deal was?  I've had the good fortune of having many great friends.  Why was I so excited about this?  Upon further inspection, I decided my excitement was a result of my age.  I recognized it's hard to make new friends in one's thirties.  Not only do I not have a lot of free time, but I have no idea where to meet people.  I hardly think it's acceptable to walk up to someone who looks interesting and say, "Hey, you look cool.  Do you want to hit Starbucks for a latte sometime?"  This approach simply does not work...does it?  I guess I can thank God I'm not dating, although I suspect this tactic may be more effective in that social realm.
   Now don't get me wrong, I am extremely fond of the friends I have had for years.  I am very lucky to have a massively supportive, diverse, and inspiring group of individuals that I am honored to call friends.  I guess that's why this particular tune has stuck with me through the years.  While I am always excited to meet new people, I will never forget those who have shared so much of my life.  
   Regarding fashion specifically, I will always remember the lyric, "one is silver, and the other, gold."  Which, you know I love both of if you have even glanced at the jewelry I have featured in this blog.  Actually, the concept of mixing silver and gold accessories is a huge trend right now in high fashion.  So, when you really think about it us girl scouts of the 1980's were rather prophetic with our music and had a whole lot more to offer than just kick ass cookies.
-r.



Jacket:  Hazel
Skirt:  Thrifted
Boots:  Thrifted
Purse:  Vintage (John Romain)

No comments:

Post a Comment