Sunday, February 5, 2017

Flat as a Fleetwood Mac record!













   Several weeks back I had the pleasure of hanging out with an old friend.  Actually it’s odd that I refer to her as an, “old friend," since realistically we’ve only been acquainted for around ten years.  However, she’s one of those individuals I feel like I’ve known forever simply because she’s a lot like me.  I know what you’re thinking, “Oh Lord, two Raynas?  That’s just scary!”  All I can say is, “Rest easy people.”  While I refer to the two of us as extremely similar in some ways, we are eons different in many others.  There’s only one woman who can talk to a brick wall for hours, while still being entertained, and that’s me.  Lately, this ironic babble-mouthed antisocial has been doing a lot of just that…well, and talking to cats…lots of cats.  Winter on the plains can do weird things to a person.
   Anyway, back to the topic at hand, on the day I photographed these pictures I had an actual outing to attend with a good friend of mine.  We planned to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes, scouting for vinyl records.  Activities like this are precisely why I enjoy hanging out with this person so much.  She shares many of the quirky interests that make up me.  I mean really, living in South Dakota does not give a person many opportunities to discuss 80’s Goth music, Criterion Collection Films, and Stephen King.  If you happen to be reading this and thinking, “I love all of those things!  Why does Rayna keep boring me with stories of her cats?!,” please let me know immediately.  I guess I’ve always considered animals more of a common ground subject than the band Bauhaus.  Oddly enough, I subject my animals to this type of music quite frequently, so why don’t I do the same to people?...huh…
   Before meeting my friend I found myself on the phone yukking it up with my dad.  He too had called with the intention of pursing vinyl.  At this time I should probably feel compelled to save face and state that I hardly have time to hang out with my retired father due to my booked social calender.  However, that’s simply not true and I’m not ashamed to admit it.  There have been several periods of time in my exsistance that my parents and brother composed the majority of my social life.  While that may sound pathetic to some, I’m really comfortable with it.  Like I stated before, it’s hard to find others who will listen to me blather on about my bizarre interests.  Not only will my dad do this, but he’ll sometimes outdo me with his own quirks.  The apple truly does not fall far from the tree.  To my dismay, on this particular occasion, I had to tell my dad, “I can’t go record shopping with you.  I’m going out WITH A FRIEND!  I have a friend!”  Ultimately, we decided it would probably be too weird if he tagged along.  Strangely enough, later that afternoon when I told my friend about dad and I’s ridiculous conversation her response was, “He should have come along!”  Yep, she’s good people.
   Overall that day I had a great time.  I was able to leave the confines of my home during what has been a rather cabin feverish type winter.  In addition, I scored a few good finds for the old turntable while talking with a good friend.  Of course, just as we were finishing up a near perfect outing my car had a tire blowout which caused me to hobble to the Barnes & Noble parking lot on just my rim.   Good thing I had some killer Goth music with to turn up otherwise that, “WHUMP, WHUMP, WHUMP” noise could have really been a buzzkill.
-r.



Cardigan Sweater:  (Gift from Mom)
Jeans:  Henry & Belle
Boots:  Ruff Hewn 
Purse:  Thrifted
Hat:  Free People
Necklace:  (Gift from Al)

No comments:

Post a Comment