Friday, March 16, 2018

"I finally found a love of a lifetime....and it's a coat?!"












   I feel compelled to start by stating this is not the first time I’ve referenced the band Firehouse while writing a post.  Considering just how dated hair bands are perceived, I should probably feel a tiny embarrassed.  However, to be totally honest, I’m not.  I’ll admit it.  I love hair metal!  Most romantic ladies who grew up in the Midwest during the 80's and early 90's love this type of music.  Hearing it today makes me fondly reminisce about middle school dances.  At that time an awkwardly tall and gangling Rayna, inevitably wearing skorts, always had to hunch over her much shorter dance partner.  Happily the, "head on the shoulder routine," was big back then or my neck would've really gotten sore.  Yes, during those dances it was the hair ballads that would make one forget things like the crackle of the crappy PA system, or the school gym’s stench of old tennis shoes.  There were only the dim lights, the idealistic juvenile chanting of each song, and all of those teenage boys trying to grow their hair long just like dreamy Sebastian Bach.  It truly was a glorious time to be alive!
   Sadly, I can never return to that time…not that I haven’t tried.  Writing this now finally makes me realize why every time a hair band is remotely in my vicinity…and living where I do this happens a lot… I have the absolute need to go see them.  Let’s just say when you see C.C. DeVille wear the exact same hat on more than one occasion you’ve probably been to a Poison show one too many times.  Actually, my only regret is not buying a t-shirt at each one of these concerts.  If I had done this I would have an amazing collection of hair band shirts that I could PRETEND was solely for ironic purposes.  Sadly, I only have one badass Ratt shirt and I can’t even fake mock it because I love it so much.
   Okay, I think I’m finally done confessing my love of hair metal.  Originally, this post was supposed to be about the coat I’m wearing in the above photographs.  I suppose I could justify my earlier 80's theme by arguing I suspect this particular garment was most likely constructed during this decade.  However, I’m certain it was originally owned by an individual who was way too cool to be listening to the likes of L.A. Guns…while wearing skorts.  Actually back then I remember ogling after the older teenagers who would dye their hair jet black and wear these type of long tweed trench coats with fingerless gloves…think Tia and Bug from the movie, “Uncle Buck.”  To this day I admire the style of the true 80's Emo kid and I've have spent nearly a lifetime searching for that perfect tweed coat that says, “Yeah, I could have hung out with Bug.”
   At long last, about three months ago, I found my treasure.  I was driving home from work, and despite my exhaustion, I got that tingle at the base of my skull demanding, “swing into that Goodwill parking lot!  There’s something waiting for you!”  History has taught me to never argue with the tingle and suddenly I found myself confronted with another tweed trench that probably would not fit.  I held it with shaky hands thinking, “It’s perfect!  The pattern, the color, the cut, the built in shoulder pads!  This is a coat that was made for Tia!  There’s no way it’s going to fit me.”  I stood there highly considering just putting it down and leaving in order to avoid the impending heartache.  However, I eventually mustered the courage and tried on the most perfect fitting coat I’ve ever owned.  It was truly my Cinderella moment.  I will lovingly remember it each time I listen to that band.
-r.

No comments:

Post a Comment